Play on Words

  • Steve Toth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2013
      PLAY ON WORDS

      Sunlight plays on the water
      as a song plays on the radio
      You can play ball with the bosses
      or play it by ear
      as you play for time

      Play it cool or play the fool
      but play it through till it's all played out
      You can play a part in a play
      & if it's autobiographical
      you might even get to play yourself

      Other people's memories play
      tricks on me but there's still no
      consummate poem just poetry getting through
      rereading & rewriting one's life
      making a total work of oneself

      Play on words let nothing stop you
      if you are truly at play
      & not just playing us all for suckers
      this feeling of linguistic intimacy
      & verbal invincibility will spread

      Maybe words are no longer content
      to merely describe things & events
      Maybe they're creating their own as we speak
      That we are all cunning
      seems both accidental & inevitable

      Maybe words do generate wild stories
      the way reality once generated words
      & every word is writing its own thesaurus
      but no matter how serious the subject
      there will always be wordplay

      Steve Toth
    • coronaborealis444
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
        Hi Steve:

        Playing catch up in reading your poems. They are welcomed heart tugs. Isn't it time for another book to be put together?

        Best,
        Sharon 444