(Panhala) When Death Comes by Mary Oliver

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2012

      When Death Comes

      When death comes
      like the hungry bear in autumn
      when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse

      to buy me, and snaps his purse shut;
      when death comes
      like the measle-pox;

      when death comes
      like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,

      I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering;
      what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?

      And therefore I look upon everything
      as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
      and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
      and I consider eternity as another possibility,

      and I think of each life as a flower, as common
      as a field daisy, and as singular,

      and each name a comfortable music in the mouth
      tending as all music does, toward silence,

      and each body a lion of courage, and something
      precious to the earth.

      When it's over, I want to say: all my life
      I was a bride married to amazement.
      I was a bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

      When it's over, I don't want to wonder
      if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
      I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened
      or full of argument.

      I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~
      (New and Selected Poems, Volume I)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html