Voices From The Past: Favorite Quotes

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012
      Here are some favorite quotes as posted on my Facebook page.

      "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there." ~Rumi

      "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." ~Attributed to Buddha

      "And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom." ~Anais Nin~

      "The flower doesn't dream of the bee. It blossoms and the bee comes."~Anonymous

      "A billion stars go spinning through the night, blazing high above your head, but in you is the presence that will be when all the stars are dead."~Maria Ranier Rilke from his poem 'Buddha in Glory'

      :If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarian." ~Linda and Paul McCartney

      "I cannot see how there can be any real and full recognition of kinship, as long as men continue either to cheat or to eat their fellow beings." ~Humanitarian Henry S. Salt in a letter to Gandhi in 1932

      "Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it." ~Albert Einstein

      "Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent about things that matter."~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." ~Thomas Jefferson

      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."~Mark Twain

      "The news and truth are not the same thing."~Walter Lippmann, American Journalist (1889-1974)

      "Individuals have international duties which transcend the national obligations of obedience...Therefore (individual citizens) have the duty to prevent crimes against peace and humanity from occuring." ~Nuremberg War Crime Tribunal, 1950

      "Democracy must be more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner." ~James Bovard (1994)

      "Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And, on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost."~Thomas J. Watson (1874-1956)

      "Let's put our minds together and see what kind of life we can make for our children." ~Sitting Bull

      "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly." ~Richard Bach

      "There are only two ways to live your life, one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle." ~Albert Einstein

      "Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds." ~Albert Einstein

      "All who wander are not lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

      "Never let school interfer with your education." ~Mark Twain

      "We dance round in a ring and suppose, and the secret sits in the middle and knows." ~Robert Frost

      "All this worldly wisdom was once  the unaimable heresy of some wise man." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

      "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." ~Robert McCloskey

      To know all it is necessary to know very little. But to know that very little one must first know pretty much. ~G. I. Gurdjieff

      "The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease." ~Thomas Edison

      "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything." ~Thomas Edison

      "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." ~Voltaire

      "War does not determine who is right - but who is left." ~Bertrand Russell

      “The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri, Inferno

      “Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘who am I to be so brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?’ Actually, who are we not to be? You are a child of God: Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Marianne Williamson from her 1992 book A Return to Love

      “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.”― Robert Frost

      "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." ~Sir Winston Churchill

      "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition." ~Steve Jobs

      "The soul comes from without into the human body, as into a temporary abode, and as it goes out of it anew it passes into other habitations, for the soul is immortal." "It is the secret of the world that all things subsist and do not die, but only retire a little from sight and afterwards return again. Nothing is dead; men feign themselves dead, and endure mock funerals… and there they stand looking out of the window, sound and well, in some strange new disguise." —Ralph Waldo Emerson

      "We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals... In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."
      ~Henry Beston

      compiled and submitted by:
      Sharon Frum Pacione
      Wdestiny44@...