Poem The Friend by Mark Nepo and Two Book Recommendations

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2011
      The Friend

      There is a friend older than birth
      who danced with you before you had a body
      a friend who stays close to your life, the way
      heat stays close to a flame. Can you feel it?

      But you may have seen it in the glow
      that remains for those few seconds after you
      turn the light off. Or in the ache that beats
      in your blood after you turn away
      from something you love.

      We each have a friend older than birth,
      more patient than the ocean, more giving
      than the rain, a place of high safety
      waiting like a nest of song
      whenever we are ready.

      All we have to do is put down the many
      things we believe we have to carry, put down
      everything we've worked for, not deny it or
      curse it, but simply undo our grip, simply
      untie our need to have it last.

      If we can't, the friend will wait
      until we die, when it will carry our pain
      like seed into God, the way that song swallows
      smoke when no one's looking. But while alive,
      if we can find what's alive, the friend will
      stretch its honeyed thread between
      our heart and eye to sweeten what we know.

      Yes, there is a friend older than birth
      who dislikes mirrors but adores windows.

      And when you look upon something with
      love and close your eyes, the trace of light
      you see is the litmus of the Divine, and all
      you love, all you see with love, all you hold
      in your heart after love---all are images that
      the friend carves on the cave of your soul, for
      the times you fall down and are forced
      to look within.

      by Mark Nepo

      From his highly recommended book of poetry:
      Surviving Has Made Me Crazy
      Mark is the author of the equally fantastic book:
      The Book of Awakening