(Panhala) September Meditation by Burton D. Carley

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
      September Meditation

      I do not know if the seasons remember their history or if the days and
      nights by which we count time remember their own passing.

      I do not know if the oak tree remembers its planting or if the pine
      remembers its slow climb toward sun and stars.

      I do not know if the squirrel remembers last fall's gathering or if the
      bluejay remembers the meaning of snow.

      I do not know if the air remembers September or if the night remembers
      the moon.

      I do not know if the earth remembers the flowers from last spring or if
      the evergreen remembers that it shall stay so.

      Perhaps that is the reason for our births -- to be the memory for
      creation.

      Perhaps salvation is something very different than anyone ever expected.

      Perhaps this will be the only question we will have to answer:
      "What can you tell me about September?"

      ~ Burton D. Carley ~

      (1997 UUMA Worship Materials Collection; contributed by Bob Freund)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html