(Panhala) A Physics by Heather McHugh

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2011

      A Physics

      When you get down to it, Earth
      has our own great ranges
      of feeling-Rocky, Smoky, Blue-
      and a heart that can melt stones.

      The still pools fill with sky,
      as if aloof, and we have eyes
      for all of this-and more, for Earth's
      reminding moon. We too are ruled

      by such attractions-spun and swaddled,
      rocked and lent a light. We run
      our clocks on wheels, our trains
      on time. But all the while we want

      to love each other endlessly-not only for
      a hundred years, not only six feet up and down.
      We want the suns and moons of silver
      in ourselves, not only counted coins in a cup. The whole

      idea of love was not to fall. And neither was
      the whole idea of God. We put him well
      above ourselves, because we meant,
      in time, to measure up.

      ~ Heather McHugh ~