(Panhala) Almost a Conversation by Mary Oliver -and- A Few Haiku by Sharon Pacione

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2011
      A Few Haiku by Sharon Pacione
      http://cosmicwind.net/800/CWind/RainbowVoices/HaikuPacione.html

      Almost a Conversation
      by Mary Oliver

      I have not really, not yet, talked with otter
      about his life.

      He has so many teeth, he has trouble
      with vowels.

      Wherefore our understanding
      is all body expression —

      he swims like the sleekest fish,
      he dives and exhales and lifts a trail of bubbles.
      Little by little he trusts my eyes
      and my curious body sitting on the shore.

      Sometimes he comes close.
      I admire his whiskers
      and his dark fur which I would rather die than wear.

      He has no words, still what he tells about his life
      is clear.
      He does not own a computer.
      He imagines the river will last forever.
      He does not envy the dry house I live in.
      He does not wonder who or what it is that I worship.
      He wonders, morning after morning, that the river
      is so cold and fresh and alive, and still
      I don't jump in.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (Evidence)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html