an invitation

  • Steve Toth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2010
      INVITATION TO BE IN

      THE POETRY CITY MARATHON ANTHOLOGY

      (IT'S TOTALLY FREE! NO FEE, NO COMMITMENTS,

      NO ADVERTISING, NO SPAM, NO GIMMICKS:

      PLEASE TELL OTHER PEOPLE.)

      Dave Morice

      email address: drabc26@...

      website: iowacitypoetrymarathon.com

      (for more info, see Wikipedia, facebook, myspace, amazon, and youtube.)

      Iowa City has been designated a City of Literature by UNESCO. The University of Iowa Main Library has an exhibit of the literary life of the town. As part of the exhibit, I am writing The Poetry City Marathon, a 10,000-page poem. The poem is divided into 100 volumes of 100 pages each. The writing began on the 4th of July, and will end on Halloween.

      The Poetry City Marathon is sponsored by Sackter House Media, a non-profit organization for people with disabilities. It is a part of the Extend the Dream Foundation.

      This is an open invitation to everybody of all ages, whether they are seasoned poets, beginners, or people who have never written a poem before, to participate in the marathon anthology. You don't have to live in Iowa City. Volume 99 is going to contain the works that people send me. There is NO FEE to be in the Poetry City Anthology. Unfortunately, there is no payment, either. Please email me if you have any questions.

      On the subject line of your email, put POETRY CITY ANTHOLOGY.

      HOW TO PARTICIPATE

      You simply email one or more poems arranged in the way you want them to appear on the page. Please include your name with each poem. I intend to use all submissions. There are no rejection slips in Poetry City.*

      WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE

      After the Poetry City Marathon ends on Halloween, I will email you an electronic copy of the volume that your poem (s) appear in. Volumes will also be placed on the website, iowacitypoetrymarathon.com.

      DEADLINE

      DEADLINE: HALLOWEEN, 2010. The deadline may be extended. The UI Main Library is thinking about keeping the Iowa City: City of Literature exhibit up until the last half of November, 2010.

      VERY SIMPLE DIRECTIONS

      1) REQUIRED: SEND (VIA EMAIL ONLY) AS MANY POEMS OF YOUR OWN AS YOU WANT. I plan on using them all, as long as my computer can handle them.

      2) REQUIRED: DO NOT NUMBER THE PAGES OR INCLUDE HEADERS OR FOOTERS OR SCANS.

      3) REQUIRED: EMAIL AS A WORD.DOC ATTACHMENT ONLY. Very important. NO PDF, NO JPG, NO ZIP FILES. My computer has problems with downloading most files. It likes Word.doc files.

      4) REQUIRED: PUT YOUR NAME ON THE SAME PAGE AS YOUR POEM.

      5) OPTIONAL: PUT YOUR CITY AND STATE ON THE SAME PAGE AS YOUR POEM. Outside the USA, include your COUNTRY, too.

      6) OPTIONAL: START EACH POEM ON A NEW PAGE. If you prefer putting more than one poem on a page, that is fine.

      7) OPTIONAL: USE TIMES NEW ROMAN, 14-POINT TYPEFACE. This is the preferred typeface for the anthology. Other typefaces may not work well on my computer.

      8) OPTIONAL: YOU MAY WISH TO INCLUDE A COVER PAGE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU SEND A LOT OF POEMS AND/OR YOU SEND POEMS FROM SCHOOL CLASS OR A WRITING GROUP.

      ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

      1) ANY TOPIC, ANY LENGTH, ANY KIND OF POETRY is welcome.

      2) ENGLISH OR ANY OTHER LANGUAGE is welcome, as long as my computer can print it.

      2) IF MY COMPUTER CAN'T DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE WORK WITH YOUR FILE, I WILL RETURN THE FILE, ANDYOU MAY TRY REFORMATTING IT AND SEND IT AGAIN.

      3) UNPUBLISHED OR PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED POEMS—either are welcome. If previously published, you may want to include name of publication and copyright info on the same page as the poem, but this isn't necessary unless the publisher requires that you do so.

      4) YOU RETAIN THE COPYRIGHT TO YOUR WORK

      5) YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WILL NOT BE GIVEN TO ANYONE.

      6) THERE IS NO FEE FOR YOU TO BE A PART OF THIS MARATHON ANTHOLOGY.

      7) ON THE OTHER HAND, THERE IS NO PAYMENT AVAILABLE FOR CONTRIBUTORS TO THE ANTHOLOGY.

      * 8) JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO NOT USE A POEM FOR ANY REASON, AND I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END THE ANTHOLOGY AT ANY TIME.

      ABOUT THE ANTHOLOGY

      In the Poetry City Marathon, all of the volumes are 100 pages long plus a cover sheet. Volume 99 will be reserved for the anthology poems. If I receive more than 100 pages of submissions, I will add volumes as they are needed, and they will be numbered Volume 99.1, Volume 99.2, etc. When the anthology is over, each volume will include an electronic List of Contributors to all the volumes, in the order in which they appear in their respective volumes. There will be no Table of Contents and no page numbers. Each contributor will receive a Word.doc copy of the volume that their work appears in. You may make a printout if you want. Regarding the copyright question, the volume cover will state the following:

      © Dave Morice, Halloween, 2010

      All Rights Revert to the Original Authors

      Published by Sackter House Media, Iowa City, IA