Water Birds 2

  • Steve Toth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2010
      WATER BIRDS 2

      The creek has changed its course
      No longer does it flow
      under the overhanging bough
      that for so long was the perch
      of a belted kingfisher

      The branch is bare now
      but in midstream we see the bright
      white plumage of a great egret
      Feathers whose gleam once
      made them so popular in hats

      We walk on the path behind the trees
      to check out its action
      then we see the surprise stepping out
      A juvenile great blue heron
      is also working the creek for food

      So strange to see a heron
      shorter than an egret & much skinnier too
      Just then the egret flaps
      its wings & leaps forward to catch something
      so large it struggles to get it down

      This seems to irritate the heron
      which spreads its wings & flies
      to the other side where some gulls
      are peacefully hanging out but now
      part to make room for the heron to pass

      When they don't move fast enough
      the heron raises its wings
      & they scatter but not too far
      They know the heron won't spend the energy
      to chase them down individually

      Steve Toth