To Tell the Truth

  • Steve Toth
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2009
      TO TELL THE TRUTH

      I would like to tell the truth
      the whole truth
      & nothing but the truth
      but what if so help me
      the truth can`t be spoken only lived?
      What if there's nothing words can tell us
      that isn't a lie because words aren't
      quite the things they say they are?

      Simply declaring we each
      have our own mother tongue
      doesn't really exhaust all the guises
      Thought has become so entwined
      with language I can`t remember
      the last idea that didn't come written down
      Are we all cells in the same body
      or cells in the same prison?

      Do you want me to turn everything
      up side down or inside out for you?
      Must I resort to insinuating metaphors
      & blatant paraphrases to get myself across?
      Even the unspoken words silently
      going through my pockets are suspect
      You're not reading a page of fire
      You're lighting a labyrinth of longing