(Panhala) How the Rainbow Works by Al Young

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2009

      How the Rainbow Works
      (for Jean Cook, on learning
      of her mother's death)

      Mostly we occupy ocular zones, clinging
      only to what we think we can see.
      We can't see wind or waves of thought,
      electrical fields or atoms dancing;
      only what they do or make us believe.

      Look on all of life as color -
      vibratile movement, heart-centered,
      from invisibility to the merely visible.
      Never mind what happens when one of us dies.
      Where were you before you even get born?
      Where am I and all the unseeable souls
      we love at this moment, or loathed
      before birth?  Where are we right now?

      Everything that ever happened either
      never did or always will with variations.
      Let's put it another way: Nothing ever
      happened that wasn't dreamed, that wasn't
      sketched from the start with artful surprises.
      Think of the dreamer as God, a painter,
      a ham, to be sure, but a divine old master
      whose medium is light and who sidesteps
      tedium by leaving room both inside and outside
      this picture for subjects and scenery to wing it.

      Look on death as living color too: the dyeing
      of fabric, submersion into a temporary sea,
      a spectruming beyond the reach of sensual
      range which, like time, is chained to change;
      the strange notion that everything we've
      ever done or been un until now is past
      history, is gone away, is bleached, bereft,
      perfect, laving the scene clean to freshen
      with pigment and space and leftover light.

      ~ Al Young ~

      (In the wonderful anthology, Soul Food,
      ed. by Neil Astley and Pamela Robertson-Pearce)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html