Snowman for Elizabeth ~ actual events

  • William Burns
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Snowman for Elizabeth

      Last winter my daughter and I built a snowman
      Even though half a tree had fallen on our house
      during the night
      And remained there
      watching over us
      We built a snowman of ice and dirt
      An impure artifact
      in the service of a more perfect Love

      Later that night
      Outside all the noise and palaver inside
      The melting snow bled into the street
      The carrot nose drooped
      the stone cold eyes
      wept
      At seeing the haze dragons coiling through the night
      revealed in the yellow sodium arc light
      Soundless in their resolve they passed on silent feet
      on their way to silent ends
      The fallen limb like a hand
      holding down our house

      I lift the black stones from the snowman's face
      For to carry in my pocket tomorrow
      When I call the folks who will fix our house . . .
      I return to Warmth
      and Light

      Quixotic as ever

      William C. Burns, Jr.