Proper Ending

  • Anna Ruiz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2008

      Proper Ending

      Where is God when I need Her?  Him?

      My fault, I don’t believe in one or another.

      I wish I could say: “You god-damned God, You.”

      Were that I could.  Or should.

      But I can’t,

      and I can’t remember who wrote this pitiful and trite ending

      to an old love story,

      older than time itself,

      regurgitated and amputated

      on the broken back of the Thinker,

      cleaning out Hercules’ stable,

      my last task,

      I wish I could raise a fist to Heaven itself, instead

      I walk down the stairs this morning.

      I would have

      thought I could have written myself out of this story

      by now and had a proper ending,

      fresh loam in my hair, worms in my eyes.