Most of the Time

  • Anna Ruiz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2008

      Most of the Time

      Most of the time I read books backwards,

      at least poetry books,

      it’s not like a novel and I can spoil the ending,

      as stories go,

      poems are delusions of the highest order

      and nothing else fits so perfectly

      over the hole in my heart,

      Sometimes I read poems on my antique white

      porcelain claw-footed bathtub, the letters

      are there even if I can’t make out the words

      just yet,

      even if I dream I am drowning, with nary a

      life line or jacket in sight, and the albatross

      stands on guard high above the mast of my

      sinking ship,

      as I slip into that black world, swallowing

      Lobelia and three tears,

      justified in my Hungarian grief, my rage and

      my final ecstasy.

      ~Anna