On the Question of Calling Down the Clouds

  • William Burns
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      On the Question of Calling Down the Clouds
      and Other Newtonian Issues

      Karl leans back in his padded chair
      And if he still smoked
      You'd just know
      he'd have one of those Sherlock Holmes pipes
      With an ashtray from Madagascar
      And all those pipe cleaner tools and such

      Karl leans back and lifts a cup of Earl Grey
      Hesitates before sipping it
      "Clarity huh?
      Well there's the Truth
      And there's . . . "

      He puts the cup (mug actually)
      Back on the cluttered desk
      On top of some pages of print out
      "You say;
      'If I could see a problem the future
      Then I could dodge it
      Rather than run over it blindly.'"

      He scratches behind his ear
      "But there is a flaw in that.
      If the future was certain you could see it
      But you would not have any choices.
      If you had a choice then the future would not be
      certain.
      One precludes the other."

      Sips
      "Lets say that tomorrow
      You see yourself approaching and mad dog.
      Let's say that is certain, gotta happen.
      Now you decide you will avoid
      that place where the dog will be
      And you do
      You avoid the mad dog.
      Notice that something has changed.
      You are no longer approaching the dog.
      Now the future is no longer certain
      because it can be changed.
      So we must conclude that either the future is not
      certain
      Or free will is a hoax."
      He hurls the tea mug against the wall
      It shatters and the stain spreads from the point of
      impact
      "Well that
      Free will thing seems to be working . . ."

      Quixotic as ever

      William C. Burns, Jr.
      Millennium Artist
      matrix437@...