Notes on Paper Men

  • William Burns
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      Notes on Paper Men

      I now introduce the featured speaker of
      this thirtieth annual conference
      Exclusively for Men of Paper

      Thank you
      We will dispense with the routine warnings. . .
      Avoid fire,
      water,
      wind and dirt
      And advance
      to some of the finer points

      Avoid cheap processing
      Low bid pigments
      and substandard bond weights
      No one wants to find their documents
      yellowing, tattered
      flaking

      Avoid turning
      so that people see you
      edge-on
      To them you will suddenly disappear . . .
      makes them nervous you understand

      Avoid children
      They have no reverence
      no understanding of our station
      They can be wild, beastly things
      Wadding us up
      throwing us
      Scrawling God knows what
      all over us

      and above all
      Pray that this "E-Mail" thing
      is a passing fad
      So typically American . . .
      Now the Japanese
      They know how to treat paper . . .
    • Anna Ruiz
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
        How shall I fold you
        into myself,
        my dear,
        will you want of sharp edges,
        smooth lines, curls or
        fine points?

        will you remember
        when the rock of ages found you,
        how you were carved,
        how the stonecutter cut and polished you to the mesmerising
        brilliance
        that we speak of?

        Ask the paper moon,
        my Love. Ask the paper stars.

[...]