After The Rain

  • ErcAshfrd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9 12:07 AM

      After The Rain

      Pigeons are tap-dancing on the roof
      And have pulled me out of the dark
      With a few ruffled sleep-covered feathers.

      Its already light enough to see
      That there is no end to this worlds love story.
      Yesterday it rained and rained and rained.
      The ground is still drinking
      From the overflow of the sky
      And is saturated into wet-dreams.
      Puddle walking garden thrushes are fishing for worms
      In the marsh of the morning.

      There are no large lakes in this area
      Just dreaming ponds
      Mostly hidden in modest glades
      That only mystic-walkers know of.
      We who stalk the countryside
      Searching for the secret life of ponds
      To make water-colours of natural art forms.
      Poised like storks we inhabit
      The margin of a more fluid reality.

      I swear those pigeons must have boots on!
      Grumbling up out of my sea-dreams
      Raiding the freezer
      I drink more cool water down
      And slowly begin to fashion a raft of quick sketches.
      A few still-life poses to paddle through.
      Looking for the flotsam the tidemark of the world
      Has beached for my eye to paint this day.

      love

      eric

      Copyright Eric Ashford June 2003.