The Poet of Both Realms

  • ercashfrd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      My friend Dorothy wrote this for me a while ago
      and I have only just found it. I am proud to share
      it withyou all now--- e

      To the Poet of Both Realms

      (for Eric Ashford, who is the inspiration of this poem
      and also the source of many of its images.)

      Somehow it did not occur to me
      that She would come with a body.
      Legs, hips, breasts and all the rest.
      That you would paint that form
      with a sheen of words,
      tell of postures, motions,
      the sounds that lovers make.

      That you would brush your beloved's eyes
      with kisses, leaving prints for the private
      detectives of the soul to discover and
      trace.

      That you would build altars in
      her hidden places,
      and worship there.

      That you would bring her gifts
      of fire and water,
      feed her the plunder of loam,
      dazzle her with seeds of the sun.

      You remind me of how it is to be enfleshed,
      to go about in a temple made of light
      and soft skin.

      You whisper to your beloved,
      who is sometimes palpable. like you,
      sometimes is that Other, that invisible She
      that we also know and touch. . . .

      June 18, 2006

      Dorothy Walters