When Will We Ever Learn? *Revised* by Sharon Pacione

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2003

      When Will We Ever Learn?
      By Sharon Pacione

      wide awake in a nightmare,
      my soul has been mortally wounded,
      shot through the heart
      by missiles of ignorance and war
      launched by abusers
      hiding behind shades of red, white and blue,
      waving the flag of bombs bursting in air,
      wagging the dog of illusion
      before sleepwalking, apathetic masses

      warmongers, the great pretenders,
      feigning democracy and freedom
      and concern for a better life,
      invade and hijack the hearts and minds
      of sons and daughters, mothers and fathers,
      slamming shut the doors of truth and integrity,
      with the help of media distraction and lies,
      in the face of activists
      advocating social, political and environmental change
      and peace and justice for all

      blind patriots rally to call war normal,
      sucked into the black hole of big brother

      purple hearts, and gold and silver stars
      gather momentum to build yet another memorial
      to the sacrificial lambs called collateral damage
      who died trying to kill for the dreams of others,
      who believed the lies and propaganda
      that the unholy alliance was not about
      oil,
      or racial and religious intolerance,
      or re-mapping of land,
      or occupation,
      or ancient treasures of mysterious origin,
      or the greed and power of world domination,
      or the addiction to - and big business of - war

      the lucky ones sing their death song;
      survivors imprison memories of horror
      on the wailing wall of mangled minds
      and the matrix of the soul

      parts and pieces blown to kingdom come,
      tied with yellow ribbons of lost hope,
      join the ghosts of past wars
      who walk alongside the waking dead
      on a crowded, blood-soaked planet
      filled with the dogma and strangled spirit
      of man's darkness and disregard for life in all forms,
      hearts hardened and desensitized to
      compassion and non-violence,
      minds clouded by addictions and material lust,
      seeking instant gratification to ease the pain
      of spinelessness and mindlessness,
      imprisoning the spirit of humanity
      in cellblocks of conformity and fear

      in the theatre of war,
      self-serving world citizens wear many faces
      of apathy, ignorance,
      and intellectual and spiritual arrogance,
      choosing well-worn words and phrases
      to detach from responsibility to the web of life

      ...I'm only one person, what can I do?

      ...I can't think about that right now, I'm too busy.

      ...Well, the only thing we can do is pray. I'm just going to let the
         Lord handle it.

      ...Everything is happening exactly as it's supposed to.

      ...Life isn't real anyway, it's all just an illusion.

      ...We live in a world of polarity, so there will never be peace.
         Besides, we wouldn't appreciate the good things if we didn't
         have the bad.

      ...I'm only going to allow the light into my reality. All of this
         negative stuff zaps my energy.

      ...What's happening on the other side of the world is not my
         problem.

      ...It must be their karma; there's nothing I can do.

      ...This war is undeclared, so it's not a real war anyway.

      ...There's no need to do anything; when you're enlightened,
         you become the observer.

      ...How do you know that's true? I didn't see it on the news!
         (Patriot Act I and II, Pax Americana/Project for the New
         American Century *PNAC*, etc.)

      ...Now that the war has started, everyone should just shut up
         and support our government, they know what they're doing!

      hyprocricy rules the nation
      selling democracy and freedom
      on the backs of bombs and oppression,
      from the halls of deceit,
      ideals still on a wish list
      for the tired, poor and hungry citizens
      of the invading country
      whose national and foreign policies
      are twin towers of manipulation

      threaten, destroy and selectively re-build
      until the world falls back to sleep,
      then threaten, de-humanize and assimilate
      the culture invaded

      moving on the wind of desire
      and addiction to war
      to the next 'axis of evil'
      ensuring that fat cats of large corporations,
      participating in perpetual sleep-overs
      at the big white house and domed rotunda,
      will never be hungry again

      real freedom - of body, mind and spirit -
      walks a tightrope once again,
      the mirror held in the iron fist
      of pride and ego,
      begging for reflection's comment
      on the lessons of man's inhumanity to life

      history is a broken record
      of broken promises
      and broken treaties
      repeating itself
      for the benefit of slow learners
      and those easily led
      who have not grasped the concept and value
      of compassion, integrity and non-violence
      as the path to peace and freedom

      and, while fence sitters nurse hemroids,
      those with a conscience
      plant seeds of peace and truth,
      watered with the tears and intent
      of Gandhi, King, Deganawidah
      and other ancestors dedicated to the reality of unity,
      to germinate within the heart and mind,
      from the light and dark of nature's balance,
      food for thought for an unbalanced world

      and, life goes on as usual
      except for the air, water and soil -
      and plant, animal and mineral kingdoms
      who absorb the vibrations of fear
      and inhale the particles of war,
      choking on the blood of death and destruction

      life goes on as usual
      except for the birds and insects
      who now avoid travel in the no-fly zone

      life goes on as usual
      except for the young Hopi mother
      whose life-force now sleeps on the sands of time,
      in a different desert,
      on the other side of the world

      life goes on as usual
      except for the 4 year old girl,
      running down a bombed-out street
      holding the hand of smoke and horror,
      mouth and eyes wide open
      to the death of innocence,
      tramatized for life

      life goes on as usual
      except for the father carrying his daughter,
      blood dripping on memories of childhood
      from her dangling, blown-off leg

      life goes on as usual
      except for prisoners of war,
      who now know Geneva Convention betrayal
      while seven billion other prisoners of war, known as humanity,
      allow 1984 to laugh in the shadows
      as they memerize and anesthetize their fears and doubts
      with a sanitized, reality show version of the sequel,
      Gulf War II

      and, life goes on as usual
      except for the families of those
      killed by 'friendly' and 'not-so-friendly' fire
      who now know that the answer to the war-song question
      "where have all the flowers gone"
      is still the same...
      "gone to grave-yards, every one"

      when we realize that life is one gigantic, connected web,
      that everyone and everything is related,
      that those we kill are ourselves,
      that we are all sons and daughters of one earth,
      of one creator of which we are all an aspect

      and, when we choose weapons of mass CONstruction,
      principles dedicated to truth, integrity, compassion,
      and non-violence

      we will have answered the last war-song question

      "when will we ever learn,
      when will we ever learn???"

      by Sharon Pacione
      Grandmother, Poet, Human Being for Peace for *All* of Life
      written between March 19 and April 13, 2003, Revised April 29, 2003
      Wdestiny44@...

      When distributing, please include credits exactly as shown,
      including the author's e-mail address.

      Quotes for the Soul:

      "Never do anything against conscience, even if the state demands
      it."~~~~~~~~~~~Albert Einstein

      "Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent about things that
      matter."~~~~~~~~~~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."~~~Thomas Jefferson

      "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time
      to pause and reflect."~~~~~~~~~Mark Twain

      "The news and truth are not the same thing."
      ~~~~~Walter Lippmann, American Journalist (1889-1974)

      "Individuals have international duties which transcend the national
      obligations of obedience...Therefore (individual citizens) have the
      duty to prevent crimes against peace and humanity from occuring."
      ~~Nuremberg War Crime Tribunal, 1950

      "Democracy must be more than two wolves and a sheep voting on
      what to have for dinner."~~~~~~James Bovard (1994)

      "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."~~~~Gandhi

      "Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your
      ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less
      the label of "crackpot" than the stigma of conformity. And, on issues
      that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost."
      ~~~~~Thomas J. Watson (1874-1956)

      We are visitors on this planet.
      we are here for ninty
      or one hundred years
      at the very most.

      During that period,
      we must try to do something
      good, something useful
      with our lives.

      if you contribute to other
      people's happiness, you will
      find the true goal,
      the true meaning of life."

      ~~~~~~~~~~H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

      "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your
      life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

      "We are all flowers in the Great Spirit's garden. We share a common
      root, and the root is Mother Earth. The garden is beautiful because it
      has different colors in it and these colors represent different traditions
      and cultural backgrounds."~~~~~Grandfather David Monongye, Hopi

      "Let's put our minds together and see what kind of life we can make
      for our children."~~~~~~Sitting Bull