Mind Games and Information Warfare On The Internet

  • david ewalt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      Information Warfare On The Internet
      If the intimidator fails to intimidate
      the intimidator is himself intimidated.
      And this is what is happening to you
      we are closing in on all sides and taking you out
      even as you bluster and threaten
      and fall over yourselves.
      You want to play mind games with us?
      You're going to lose!
      We take more and more of you out everyday.
      A little refresher course as to what is going to happen to you.
      If you are a reptilian we will immediately zap you to quarantine
      where you will sit out the remainder of this war as a braindead zombie.
      In the meantime we have gotten all the memories out of your minds,
      who sent you ,who you know,who you work for,
      and these have been followed up the line where we reprogram as we go.
      If you are only a clone or a yes man or woman,or if you have sold
      out,you know who you are, we will reprogram you and set you back in
      place to carry on as before. Never knowing we have been in your
      mind,except you report to us now.
      Without your knowing it and we can control you absolutely,even to
      the extent of acting like a manchurian candidate for us. Not that we
      will ask that of you,but we could and you would comply completely
      without question and without even remembering it. Aside from that you
      have the same free will as before. When this is over we will place you
      in quarantine long enough to deprogram you and allow you to start over
      with a clean slate in a new life of your own choosing. In the
      meantime,watch your back,you have nothing to fear from us but your own
      people may send someone after you as soon as they find out you have
      been compromised,which they will,since they monitor these computers.

      Warfare on the Internet

      [I posted this to alt.mindcontrol in early December, 1997. The
      group had been flooded with posts for sex-related web sites, and
      included graphic jpeg images. While this post is mostly about Usenet
      news groups, much of it applies to email and web sites too. The term
      information warfare is, in many respects, just a new word for what
      used to be called propaganda.]
      The recent porn posts in alt.mindcontrol fit in as one of a
      variety of techniques for disrupting internet news groups. If you read
      about the basic cointelpro techniques, most such disruptions are
      variations on those themes. They are also deniable, and this
      uncertainty is cultivated and prized by harassers because it can lead
      to (justified) paranoia and false accusations that discredit the victim.
      Information techniques
      * Distraction with irrelevant posts. What better example than the
      recent porn posts? Discussion is lost in the noise. (In this case, the
      posts may make the group "appealing" to a new audience, so a small
      silver lining is that new people can be informed about mind control.)
      * Distraction by voluminous postings with no information by
      blowhards and empty name-callers. (Can be hard to distinguish from
      genuine blowhards.) People who wallow in the mud do not need to
      outdebate you; they only need to drag you down there with them. Kill
      files can help if your newsreader has them.
      * Planting of provocateurs (and sleeper agents, etc.). These
      people will vary from the posters who suddenly show up one day under
      an alias attacking regular posters, to people who seem like regular
      posters themselves. They may work in teams, supporting each other and
      giving the illusion of popular support on the net. (Remember, net IDs
      are basically free, and one person can have many.) As cointelpro
      showed, there is little that is more poisonous to an organization than
      to have it tear itself apart from the inside with accusations of
      moles. (The CIA knows all about this from its own mole hunts.) Moles
      love to accuse others of being moles; then again, there are real
      moles. You have to judge for yourself who to listen to or what to believe.
      Hardware techniques
      * Spoofing. Forgeries and modified content. Does not need to be
      global over the whole internet, for example just your local news
      server can be modified. If they control your regular communication
      line like your phone line there is no end to the illusions that can be
      created. There is a danger that some forms of spoofing will be
      detected, though, and it is harder to do, so I think these techniques
      are used less widely than the others.
      * Canceling posts. Posts disappear or only propagate in a limited
      region. This has deniability as just network problems, since sometimes
      there really are network problems. One technique is to secretly
      "localize" posts that are not approved by some censor or gatekeeper.
      Most people will not notice if their post only appears on their local
      news server, and will assume it has propagated worldwide. They will
      just think no one has replied (though spoof replies can be posted
      locally, too). I check to see that my posts show up at DejaNews.
      Hardly foolproof, but at least then I know people can read them there
      (at least until more sophisticated spoofing is available, perhaps
      tailored to domain names or user names).
      * Delaying posts. By controlling when posts show up, the flow of
      the debate can be controlled. A heads-up warning can be given to the
      plants on the group to counter arguments ahead of time. They can also
      make the same arguments or statements themselves ahead of time to
      build their own "credibility" or to steal thunder.
      * Controlling search engines. If no one can find it, it is not
      there. I do not have any evidence that this has happened. The real
      danger is the possibility of "voluntary" self-censorship like we have
      seen, for example, in the newspapers with regard to radiation experiments.
      Combined hardware/information techniques
      * Feedback pathways. An important aspect of psychological warfare
      is to have a feedback path to the victim. (This is like a control
      signal in dynamical systems theory.) The feedback path may be used
      covertly to manipulate the victim, the victim may become aware of it
      on his or her own, or the victim may be purposely made aware of it.
      Harassers often want victims think their harassers have control
      over them. To know they are being watched. This can help induce
      psychological trauma and regression in the victim. [According to the
      KUBARK interrogation manual, "All coercive techniques are designed to
      induce regression."] A feedback path can alert the victim that he is
      being manipulated. This can be done by telephones ringing or fax
      machines. It can be done with sophisticated mind control methods. It
      could even be done in newspapers if some person or agency knew the
      newspapers the victim reads and could influence their content (e.g.
      the final cointelpro link below).
      But the internet is a fairly new medium that fits this bill
      perfectly if the subject reads newsgroups. In a simple example, you
      cancel a person's post and then post your own article hinting that you
      have done it. (Incidentally, psychological torturers can pretend to
      have caused anything they are aware of having happened.) The person
      gets angry, but they may not be sure, and if they accuse the tormentor
      they are ridiculed. (Always try to goad the victims into doing things
      in public that will discredit them.)
      When the hardware is expanded to include home surveillance and
      mind control techniques, the effects can be magnified immensely.
      Can anyone truly doubt that these techniques have been extensively
      studied and documented by our government? The stonewall of denial
      fights for every inch of ground, no matter how trivial. People will
      still deny obvious, documented (cointelpro) things like this to delay
      having to deny the next step of the chain ("Yes, maybe they studied it
      but they would never test it on Americans [they did], and they surely
      are not still doing it today [they are].")
      Secret agencies are still arms of the federal government.
      cointelpro:
      http://mediafilter.org/MFF/USDCO.idx.html
      http://dickshovel.netgate.net/coin.html
      http://www.webcom.com/~pinknoiz/covert/cointelpro.html