"Rumi - Hidden Music"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hi Everyone:

      I received a beautiful Rumi book as a gift recently. It is "Rumi - Hidden
      Music" translated by Maryam Mafi and Azima Melita Kolin, published
      in 2001. It's one of my favorite poetry books of all time.

      To start the new year (and give the left brain a gift) following are four
      short poems...one each for the physical, spiritual, mental and emotional
      bodies. Enjoy this two minute read.

      When you plant a tree
      every leaf that grows will tell you,
      what you sow will bear fruit.

      So if you have any sense, my friend
      don't plant anything but love,
      you show your worth by what you seek.

      Water flows to those who want purity.
      Wash your hands of all desires and
      come to the table of Love.

      Do you want me to tell you a secret?
      The flowers attract the most beautiful lover
      with their sweet smile and scent.

      If you let God weave the verse in your poem
      people will read it forever.

      Rumi
      from the book "Rumi - Hidden Music: Paintings and Poems" translated
      by Maryam Mafi and Azima Melita Kolin, published 2001, page 115

      Let us fall in love again
      and scatter gold dust all over the world.

      Let us become a new spring
      and feel the breeze drift in the heavens' scent.

      Let us dress the earth in green,
      and like the sap of a young tree
      let the grace from within sustain us.

      Let us carve gems out of our stony hearts
      and let them light our path to Love.

      The glance of Love is crystal clear
      and we are blessed by its light.

      Rumi
      from the book: "Rumi - Hidden Music", published 2001, page 117

      We are healers, wise men from the East!
      We have cured many from sorrow and blindness,
      we uproot the cause of all pain.
      We bring the dead to life because
      we have learned our skills from Christ,
      ask those who have witnessed our signs.
      We mix our medicine from plants of paradise
      and need no instruments
      for we run through the body like thought.
      We are the healers of spirit and
      do not look for reward.

      But before we leave,
      remember not to speak of us, guard your words
      for this world is full of unfriendly ears.

      Rumi
      from the book "Rumi - Hidden Music", published 2001, page 127

      Pilgrims
      why are you turning round in circles,
      what are you looking for?
      The Beloved is here, why search in the desert?

      If you look deep in your heart
      you will find Him within yourself.
      You have made the pilgrimage and
      trod the path to Mecca many times.
      You rave about the holy place
      and say you've visited God's garden
      but where is your bunch of flowers?
      You tell stories about diving deep into the ocean
      but where is your pearl?

      There is some merit
      in the sufering you have endured
      but what a pity you have not discovered
      the Mecca that's inside.

      Rumi
      from the book: "Rumi - Hidden Music", published 2001

      (Bonus)

      You have woken up late,
      lost and perplexed
      but don't rush to your books
      looking for knowledge.
      Pick up the flute instead and
      let your heart play.

      Rumi
      from the book "Rumi - Hidden Music" pulbished 2001, page 158

      See the following site for additional poetry:

      Peace and love to all in the new year,
      Sharon 444
      *Sharon Pacione*