"Nearness of the Beloved" by Goethe

  • Sharon Pacione
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2002
      NEARNESS OF THE BELOVED

      I think of you when from the sea the shimmer
      of sunlight streams;
      I think of you when on the brook the dimmer
      moon casts her beams.

      I see your face when on the distant highway
      dust whirls and flakes,
      in deepest night when on the mountain byway
      the traveller quakes.

      I hear your voice when, dully roaring, yonder
      waves rise and spill;
      listening, in silent woods I often wander
      when all is still.

      I walk with you, though miles from you divide me;
      yet you are near!
      The sun goes down, soon stars will shine to guide me.
      Would you were here!

      Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, from the book "Roman
      Elegies and Other Poems", selected, translated and
      with an introduction by Michael Hamburger, page 41