"Where Did You Come From?" by George MacDonald

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2002
      Hi Everyone:

      The following poem is dedicated to my first grandchild to be born at the
      end of December. It's a question and answer session between parent(s)
      and child. Peace and love, Sharon 444

      WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?

      Where did you come from, Baby dear?
      Out of the everywhere into here.

      Where did you get your eyes so blue?
      Out of the sky as I came through.

      What makes the light in them sparkle and spin?
      Some of the starry spikes left in.

      Where did you get that little tear?
      I found it waiting when  I got here.

      What makes your forehead so smooth and high?
      A soft hand stroked it as I went by.

      What makes your cheek like a warm white rose?
      I saw something better than anyone knows.

      Whence that three-corner'd smile of bliss?
      Three angels gave me at once a kiss.

      Where did you get this pearly ear?
      God spoke, and it came out to hear.

      Where did you get those arms and hands?
      Love made itself into hooks and bands.

      Feet, whence did you come, you darling things?
      From the same box as the cherubs' wings.

      How did they all come just to be you?
      God thought of me, and so I grew.

      But how did you come to us, you dear?
      God thought of you, and so I am here.

      By George MacDonald
      from the book: "Best Loved Poems (A Collection of More Than 200
      Favorite Verses", Edited by Patricia A. Pingry, Page 53