"Trees" by Joyce Kilmer

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2002
      Good Morning Everyone:

      Found myself singing the first two lines of the poem "Trees" by Joyce
      Kilmer while doing dishes this morning. Of course, I didn't know the
      poem was actually entitled "Trees" or the author's name until I did a
      Yahoo search. I haven't thought of this in probably 35 years. Anyway,
      it is soooo beautiful that it wants to be shared.

      Perhaps we all can say a special prayer for the trees who bring so
      much beauty and are connected to our breath of life. They help cool
      the planet, give shade and housing, keep soil from eroding and provide
      medicine and food for healing. There are many trees who are thirsty
      because of a lack of rain in many areas. Let us also remember the
      plight of the rain forests as man learns to walk in a conscious way
      regarding these "standing tall people."  I think the trees that I AM
      surrounded with in my own wooded yard were speaking this morning.
      Enjoy this short, simple, yet beautiful poem.

      TREES

      I think that I shall never see
      a poem lovely as a tree.
      A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
      against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
      a tree that looks at God all day,
      and lifts her leafy arms to pray;
      a tree that may in summer wear
      a nest of robbins in her hair;
      upon whose bosom snow has lain;
      who intimately lives with rain.
      Poems are made by fools like me,
      but only God can make a tree.

      by (Alfred) Joyce Kilmer
      killed in WWI at the age of 32

      Note: The word "prest" in the third line of the poem is the author's spelling.

      PARODY OF THE ABOVE POEM

      I think that I shall never see
      a billboard lovely as a tree.
      Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
      I'll never see a tree at all.

      by Ogden Nash

      Posted to the poetry group Voices of the Philosophers Stone at:

      Peace and love to all,
      Sharon 444
      *Sharon Pacione*