"Tired of Speaking Sweetly" by Hafiz

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002

      TIRED OF SPEAKING SWEETLY

      Love wants to reach out and manhandle us,
      break all our teacup talk of God.

      If you had the courage and
      could give the Beloved His choice, some nights,
      He would just drag you around the room
      by your hair,
      ripping from your grip all those toys in the world
      that bring you no joy.

      Love sometimes gets tired of speaking sweetly
      and wants to rip to shreds
      all your erroneous notions of truth

      that make you fight within yourself, dear one,
      and with others,

      causing the world to weep
      on too many fine days.

      God wants to manhandle us,
      lock us inside of a tiny room with Himself
      and practice His dropkick.

      The Beloved sometimes wants
      to do us a great favor:

      hold us upside down
      and shake all the nonsense out.

      but when we hear
      He is in such a "playful drunken mood"

      most everyone I know
      quickly packs their bags and hightails it
      out of town.

      Hafiz from the book "The Gift: Poems by Hafiz" The Great Sufi Master
      (1320-1389), translations by Daniel Ladinsky

      For spiritual poetry, visit Sharon Pacione's Poetry Group at:
    • Don McCormack
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
        Sharon,
        I enjoy your postings. I tried to use 'For spiritual
        poetry, visit Sharon Pacione's Poetry Group
        at:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoicesOfThePhilosopher's
        Stone' and got the message 'There is no group called
        VoicesOfThePhilosopher's Stone'.I know what the
        problem is but some might not. It needs to read
        'http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoicesOfThePhilosophersStone/'

        Don

        --- wdestiny44@... wrote:

        > TIRED OF SPEAKING SWEETLY
        >
        > Love wants to reach out and manhandle us,
        > break all our teacup talk of God.
        >
        > If you had the courage and
        > could give the Beloved His choice, some nights,
        > He would just drag you around the room
        > by your hair,
        > ripping from your grip all those toys in the world
        > that bring you no joy.
        >
        > Love sometimes gets tired of speaking sweetly
        > and wants to rip to shreds
        > all your erroneous notions of truth
        >
        > that make you fight within yourself, dear one,
        > and with others,
        >
        > causing the world to weep
        > on too many fine days.
        >
        > God wants to manhandle us,
        > lock us inside of a tiny room with Himself
        > and practice His dropkick.
        >
        > The Beloved sometimes wants
        > to do us a great favor:
        >
        > hold us upside down
        > and shake all the nonsense out.
        >
        > but when we hear
        > He is in such a "playful drunken mood"
        >
        > most everyone I know
        > quickly packs their bags and hightails it
        > out of town.
        >
        > Hafiz from the book "The Gift: Poems by Hafiz" The
        > Great Sufi Master
        > (1320-1389), translations by Daniel Ladinsky
        >
        > For spiritual poetry, visit Sharon Pacione's Poetry
        > Group at:

        > Stone

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • coronaborealis444
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
          Don:

          That pesky apostrophe!!! Thanks for bringing it to my
          attention. And, I'm glad you enjoy the occasional post.
          Please feel free to post your favorite poems too.

          Peace and love,
          Sharon 444

          --- In VoicesOfThePhilosophersStone@y..., Don McCormack