"Mourning Song" by Sharon Pacione & Chief Seattle Poem

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002

      This poem was written during the war in Bosnia. Made me wonder about
      other forms of life and where they go during the disruption of war. I used
      birds as an example. Of course, we can see how this poem could apply
      to many places experiencing the turmoil of war on any given day on
      Planet Earth. The sound of war has become our "Mourning Song".
      Let us all think about what the vibrations of war are doing to the
      interior and exterior of our beautiful planet and ALL lifeforms. May we
      all become the change we wish to see.

      MOURNING SONG

      where do birds sing during war
      do they follow displaced humans
      driven by misplaced bombs
      into earth-shattering chaos,
      seeking not only food and shelter,
      fresh air and water,
      but one moment of safety,
      one genuine moment of peace

      empty nests left behind
      in yards of empty houses
      contain the vibrations of fear,
      permeating breath's every molecule,
      suffocating the last minutes of life
      for those fleeing the agony of hell

      others feel the terror of war
      from other-side-of-the-world sanctuaries,
      souls who amplify the screams
      of those too shell-shocked to understand
      that they and their loved ones
      were bombed in the name of peace
      who realize that
      no safety on foot,
      no safety in trucks,
      no safety on trains,
      no safety in nests
      rains the confusion of truth,
      all sides brainwashed in righteous solutions

      trigger-fingers decide the fate
      for those whose bodies
      litter the countryside,
      where children
      ripped from the arms of their mother
      lay alongside shattered hopes and dreams,
      blown to kingdom come

      helpless feathered messengers
      leave dismembered babies
      and lifelong partners
      in search of greener pastures,
      where land mines and bullets and bombs
      won't interrupt their mourning song

      will these messengers of harmony
      once again find peace on earth,
      or will mankind enslave
      all God's creatures
      in his hell-hole of destruction

      by Sharon Pacione
      April 14, 1999
      Wdestiny44@...

      Quote:

      How many times will a man turn his head
      and pretend that he just doesn't see?
      The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind,
      the answer is blowin' in the wind.

      from the Bob Dylan song "Blowin' in the Wind"

      And, the following is the wisdom of one of our ancestors. Listen-up
      humanity!

      Teach your children
      what we have taught our children -
      that the earth is our mother.
      Whatever befalls the earth
      befalls the sons and daughters of the earth.
      If men spit upon the ground,
      they spit upon themselves.

      This we know.
      The earth does not belong to us,
      we belong to the earth.
      This we know.
      All things are connected
      like the blood which unites one family.
      All things are connected.

      Whatever befalls the earth
      befalls the sons and daughters of the earth.
      We did not weave the web of life;
      we are merely a strand in it.
      Whatever we do to the web,
      we do to ourselves.

      Chief Seattle

      Quote:

      "Unless we change direction, we are likely to end up where we are
      headed."~~~~~~~~~Chinese Proverb

      On the following site, I post other poetry I've written as well as poems
      by some of my favorites, including Rumi and Hafiz among others. I
      encourage others to post their favorite poems. Please check out the
      home page at:

      In the spirit of becoming the change we wish to see.

      Peace and love to all,

      Sharon 444
      *Sharon Pacione*