Waves Beyond the Now

  • ErcAshfrd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 9:03 AM

      Waves Beyond the Now

      We left the restaurant as the night was opening.

      Light tumbled out of distant windows

      some music blared softly beyond the rooftop.

      I remember especially the rooftops.

      They seemed to slant right into the earth

      and even the starlight

      had to duck to pass beneath them.

      If the town had been nowhere

      we could have made a home in that place.

      Of course, what I recall now is your hand in mine.

      Our hips together as we walked to the lake.

      How we looked for a long time over the dark water

      hearing its nocturnal dreams ripple over our heads.

      Over our heads went the past and the future.

      We knew we had moments to live.

      Only this clasp and grasp of us to hold onto

      before the town opened for business again.

      From now on one of us would be dining alone

      while both of us would be forever

      leaving this moment.

      (c) Eric Ashford 2006