Fwd: (Poetry Chaikhana) Ivan M. Granger - Every Shaped Thing

  • ErcAshfrd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

      Every Shaped Thing

      By Ivan M. Granger
      (1969 - )

      Sighing,
      every shaped thing
      turns
      heavenward.

      Your altar
      cannot seat
      the thousand thousand
      idols.

      Holding them,
      what do you have?

      Each gilded god
      says:

      "I am
      impoverished
      by the sun.

      I can only
      point
      up."

      ============

      Thought for the Day:

      Once you have gathered enough silence,
      silence gathers you.

      ============

      Here's your Daily Music selection --

      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/twm2/from/poetrychaikhana/

      Wimshurst's Machine

      The Alchemist

      Listen - Purchase

      More Music Selections

      Hi Eric -

      A gift from the islands today...

      I wrote this poem when I still lived on the island of Maui. I was standing outside with a scattered forest of eucalyptus and wattle trees in front of me and Haleakala volcano to my back. I was standing there in a state of deep meditation, when I opened my eyes -- and I just saw how everything is reaching, turning, pointing heavenward. The material world, when objectified becomes a confusing tangle of desire objects; but when seen truly, quietly, it acts as a great signpost guiding us, pointing out the direction.

      All of creation -- every person, every thing, even every idea, "every shaped thing" -- is just a reflection of the divine radiance present everywhere.

      Whenever we desire a thing... or person or experience, we artificially deify it, the desire and mental fixation becoming a low form of worship. We may tell ourselves, "I want this, I want that," but what we unknowingly crave is not the thing itself, but that spark of the Eternal barely glimpsed within it. The desired object becomes a "gilded god" -- false in the sense that it is not truly the wholeness we seek; but also, like an "idol," when approached sincerely and openly, material creation embodies something essential: it points to the Divine which it reflects.

      No individual can ever gather enough objects of desire to satisfy desire. But when we learn to see in gold the glimmer of the sun, then we see that everything shines -- everything! -- ourselves included. And then we are truly satisfied.

      Have a beautiful day!

      Ivan

      Recent Poetry Chaikhana Forum Topics

      Transitions
      Poem: "The Puppet"
      It is Enough That You Spoke At All

      Poetry Chaikhana Home

      New
      | Music | Teahouse | About | Contact | Links
      Poets by: Name| Tradition | Century | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | Commentary

      Forum
      | eCard Gallery | Poetry Chaikhana Radio | Catalog

      www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

      Please support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

      If you wish to further support the work of the Poetry Chaikhana, donations are always welcome in any amount. Just click the button to the right.

      Again, thank you!

      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=ivan@...&item_name=Open Donation&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&bn=PP-DonationsBF&charset=UTF-8

      Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2005 by Ivan M. Granger.
      All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

      Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

      Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".