"Only Breath", Rumi

  • Sharon Pacione
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      ONLY BREATH

      Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu,
      Buddhist, sufi, or zen. Not any religion

      or cultural system. I am not from the East
      or the West, not out of the ocean or up

      from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not
      composed of elements at all. I do not exist,

      am not an entity in this world or the next,
      did not descend from Adam and Eve or any

      origin story. My place is placeless, a trace
      of the traceless. Neither body or soul.

      I belong to the beloved, have seen the two
      worlds as one and that one call to and know,

      first, last, outer, inner, only that
      breath breathing human being.

      There is a way between voice and presence
      where information flows.

      In disciplined silence it opens.
      With wandering talk it closes.

      from the book "The Essential Rumi", page 32,
      translations by Coleman Barks with John Moyne