Creation by: ~ Philip Appleman ~(for the discovery of the Grotte de Lascaux)

  • mary
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2005

      Painted gallery : ceiling

      Creation

      Of all the living walls
      of this dim cave,
      soot and ochre, acts of will,
      come down to us to say:

      This is who we were.
      We foraged here in an age of ice,
      and, warmed by the fur of wolves,
      felt the pride of predators
      going for game.
      Here we painted the strength of bulls,
      the grace of deer, turned life into art,
      and left this testimony on our walls.
      Explorers of the future, see how,
      when our dreams reach forward,
      your wonder reaches back, and we embrace.
      When we are long since dust,
      and false prophets come,
      then don't forget that we were your creators.
      So build your days
      on what you know is real, and remember
      that nothing will keep your lives alive
      but art - the black and ochre visions
      you draw inside your cave
      will honor your lost tribe,
      when explorers in some far future
      marvel at the paintings on your walls.

      ~ Philip Appleman ~

      (for the discovery of the Grotte de Lascaux: Marcel Ravidat, 1923-1995)

      Great black bull.

      Black stag.

      http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/

      ''

      God says nothing, he just remains silent.
      Stop violence against women
      http://www.amnesty.org/
      With marches, demonstrations, flags and music, Amnesty International members and supporters declared to the world that this human rights scandal could no longer be ignored. [* Slideshow]