Song For Our Children by Mary Ann DiNella (Voices of Manatees, Dolphins, Whales)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24 8:40 PM
      While in Florida recently, there was a beautiful picture in the room in which I was
      staying of a mermaid holding a manatee. A caption under the picture was the first
      stanza of a song by Mary Ann DiNella, "Song For Our Children." At first, I thought
      it was a poem, but when I looked up the artist, I found that what I thought was a
      poem was part of the following beautiful song. I love manatees, and while in Florida
      in February, my friend Marta gifted me with a waist-high statue of a mother manatee
      holding a baby which has found the perfect place in my home. The manatees,
      dolphins, whales and coral reef are speaking for all marine life in the oceans of the world through this poignant song.

      In the spirit of peace and love for all life,
      Sharon 444
      *Sharon Pacione*
      Wdestiny44@...

      SONG FOR OUR CHILDREN
      by Mary Ann DiNella

      Older than your history, I am Manatee.
      Shall I be extinguished in your time?
      Or shall I, like the mermaid, save the man who would save me?
      Your future, fellow mammal, flows with mine.

      (Chorus)
      And who will be Manatee tomorrow?
      Will your children know my children, or just a memory?
      The current of all living things shall treat us quite the same.
      Who'll know my name, in an empty rolling sea?

      Racer of the ancient currents, I am Dolphin.
      Man-child, I have seen you safely home,
      Though your father's trawler hauls miles of drifting, deadly walls;
      The nets that snare my future and your own!

      (Chorus)
      And who will be Dolphin tomorrow?
      Will your children know my children, or just a memory?
      The current of all living things shall treat us quite the same.
      Who'll know my name, in an empty rolling sea?

      Singer of the ageless songs, I am Whale,
      Maker of dark symphonies at sea.
      You've killed me in my mating-ground, I've died to breathe the air.
      I've died for soap and oil and ivory!

      (Chorus)
      And who will be Whale tomorrow?
      Will your children know my children, or just a memory?
      The current of all living things shall treat us quite the same.
      Who'll know my name, in an empty rolling sea?

      Graveyard of galleons, I am Coral Reef.
      I am the ocean's nursery.
      I have watched your trade- routes grow, and their treasurers fall below,
      But Spanish gold buys little hope for me!

      Cradle
      of your origin, I am Ocean,
      Witness to the mystery of your birth,
      Life-giver to the land, and the family of Man,
      And all the wondrous creatures
      of the earth!

      (Chorus)
      And I will be Ocean tomorrow,
      Though your children and my children be just a memory.
      If the current of all living things treats all things quite the same,
      What will I be, but an empty, rolling sea?

      If the current of all living things treats all things quite the same,
      What will remain, but an empty rolling sea?

      Click here: Diamonds - DiNella
      http://www.willmclean.com/diamonds/DiNella.html