"Immaculate Perception" by Renie Brooksieker - And, The Nine Muses

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      On Feb 20, 2005, eleven women attended a workshop in which we
      were working with the energy of the nine muses. As we introduced
      ourselves, we were asked to give one word that came to mind as
      we sat for a few moments of silence before starting the workshop.
      One person gave two words. My friend Renie asked that we repeat
      the words so she could write them down. As she repeated them
      back to the group, she birthed a poem by spontaneously adding
      connecting words, which became our group message for that day.
      BTW,I had no idea at the time, that there was a muse for geometry!

      Thought you might enjoy the energy of the muses at play in Renie's
      poem.

      IMMACULATE PERCEPTION

      In geometry
      there is a renaissance
      with the moon
      that brings the fire.

      My vision is in my hands
      with patience,
      compassion
      and healing.

      We play
      at acceptance
      of our own star,
      in beauty.

      Renie Brooksieker
      February 20, 2005
      renie@...

      Birth of the Muses:
      Adapted by Valarie Endemann

      Zeus and Mnemosyne (Goddess of Memory, Mother of the Muses) had a 9 day triste after Zeus defeated theTitans on Mt. Olympus. Zeus now the King of Gods, and known for forming and hurling lightening bolts in any direction he pleased, was implored by his companion Gods to create Goddesses to sing and dance of their great victory, immortalizing the epic battle and rejoicing in their newfound freedom. zeus decided who better to birth such divine beings, than the Goddess of memory. Mnemosyne was a  contemplative and reflective Goddess, she was wise beyond
      measure, and had great vision. She was filled with all the joys and
      all the sadness of the universe. When she laughed, it be raucous,
      blissful, jubilant, or ironic. When she cried, her tears were so deeply
      filled with grief and longing, the skies would open up and cry with her.
      And, then she'd become melancholy and drift into a smile again.
      They say that Zeus had to coerce Mnemosyne into laying with him
      on the first night, but the memory of their lovemaking was so sweet
      and so passionate that she returned to him eight more times.

      Mnemosyne gave birth to the nine daughters of Zeus and called them the Muses.

      Calliope: Lover of Song: Fair-voiced; epic poetry.

      Clio: Teller of Stories: Proclaimer, history

      Euterpe: Giver of Pleasure: music, invented the flute

      Thalia: Bringer of Joy: comedy, playful, idyllic-poetry; flourisher,
      flowers

      Melpomene: Crier of Tears: one who remembers, sings joyously
      of tragedy

      Erato: Awakener of Desire: lovely, love poetry, roses

      Terpsichore: Whirling One: dance

      Polyhymnia: Singer of the Sacred: she of many hymns, wears a
      veil, sacred geometry and meditation, has a lot to think about

      Urania: Heavenly One: astronomy and astrology, fortells the future
      and charts destinies in the stars

      Book Recommendation:

      The Nine Muses: A Mythological Path to Creativity" by Angeles
      Arrien

      Quotes:

      Fairy tales - the great difference is between doing something and doing nothing. Always, in such tales, the hero or heroine does
      something."~~~~Mary Oliver

      "...we die to each other daily. What we know of other people is only
      our memory of the moments during which we knew them. And they
      have changed since then. To pretend that they and we are the same
      is a useful and convenient social convention which must sometimes
      be broken. We must also remember that at every meeting we are
      meeting a stranger."~~~~~T.S. Eliot, from "The Cocktail Party"

      "Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes
      by so quick you hardly catch it going."~~~~Tennessee Williams

      "The new meaning of soul is creativity and mysticism. They will
      become the foundation of the new psychological type and with him
      or her will come the new civilization."~~~~~~Otto Rank

      "All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are.
      And we must pass through solitude and difficulty, isolation and
      silence, in order to reach forth to the enchanted place where we
      can dance our clumsy dance and sing our sorrowful song - but
      in this dance or in this song there are fulfilled the most ancient
      rites of our conscience in the awareness of being human and of
      being in a common destiny."~~~~~~~Poet, Pablo Neruda

      "We stay up and sing the sacred songs all night to purify ourselves
      so that our dancing and our prayers can do good for everyone."
      ~~~~~Alonzo Quavehema, from the book by James K. Page, Jr.,
                 'Rare Glimpse Into the Evolving Way of the Hopi'

      "I believe that the moment I open to the gifts of the Muse, I open
      myself to the Creation and become one with the Mother of Life
      Itself."~~~~~Jan Phillips

      In the spirit of inspiration and creativity,
      Sharon 444
      *Sharon Pacione*