928Hafiz

    May 2, 2004

      The Following are seven sacred Hafiz poems. Sip them slowly
      like a glass of fine wine. They are all from the book "The Subject
      Tonight is Love: 60 Wild and Sweet Poems of Hafiz", translated by
      Daniel Ladinsky, who is also the author of two additional Hafiz books
      "The Gift" and "Love Poems from God."

      Hafiz, whose given name was Shams'ud'din Muhammad (1320-1389),
      is a most beloved poet of Persians and lovers of poetry world-wide.

      Poem Titles:

      Will Beat You Up
      Ten Thousand Idiots
      A Potted Plant
      Castrating an Ego
      To Anything That Moved
      In a Tree House
      The Place Where You Are Right Now

      WILL BEAT YOU UP
      by Hafiz

      Jealousy
      and most all of your sufferings

      are from believing
      you know better than God.

      Of course,
      such a special brand of arrogance as that
      always proves disastrous,

      and will rip the seams
      in your caravan tent,

      then cordially invite in many species
      of mean biting flies and
      strange thoughts---

      that will
      beat you
      up.

      TEN THOUSAND IDIOTS
      by Hafiz

      It is always a danger
      to aspirants
      on the
      path

      when they begin
      to believe and
      act

      as if the ten thousand idiots
      who so long ruled
      and lived
      inside

      have all packed their bags
      and skipped town
      or died.

      A POTTED PLANT
      by Hafiz

      I pull a sun from my coin purse each day.

      And at night I let my pet the moon
      run freely into the sky meadow.

      If I whistled,
      she would turn her head and look at me.

      If I then waved my arms,
      she would come back wagging a marvelous tail
      of stars.

      There are always a few men like me
      in this world

      who are house-sitting for God.
      We share His royal duties:

      I water each day a favorite potted plant
      of His ---
      this earth.

      Ask the Friend for love.
      Ask Him again.

      For I have learned that every heart will get
      what it prays for
      most.

      CASTRATING AN EGO
      by Hafiz

      The only problem with not castrating
      a gigantic ego is

      that it will surely become amorous
      and father
      a hundred screaming ideas and kids

      who will then all quickly grow up
      and skillfully proceed

      to run up every imaginable debt
      and complication of which your brain
      can conceive.

      This would concern normal parents
      and any seekers of freedom

      and the local merchants nearby
      as well.

      They could very easily become forced
      to disturb your peace;

      all those worries and bills could turn to
      wailing ghosts.

      The only problem with not lassoing a runaway ego is

      you won't have much desire to sing
      in this sweet
      world.

      TO ANYTHING THAT MOVED
      by Hafiz

      Yesterday it was sweet madness,
      reciting poems for hours

      and talking about love to anything that
      moved.

      I lay down late thinking I might be able to sleep
      all the way until there was the light
      of resplendent sounds - and polished jokes -
      from the morning birds.

      That was foolish of me,
      for in just a few minutes, three worlds
      crawled from a cave in my heart,
      built a huge fire and yelled,
      "get up!"

      They could not contain their happiness
      living inside of one as ripe as I.

      We began jumping up and down
      and banging our heads
      like a drunk bronze clapper in a sacred Buddhist bell---

      against the fields and mountains,
      against all the jeweled walls of this Universe.

      Yesterday was such exquisite madness,
      singing about the Friend for hours

      and talking about love to anything
      that dared to move.

      Yet I believe another wonderful day,
      and perhaps even a sweeter height of rare, inspired insanity,
      O Hafiz, has just begun.

      IN A TREE HOUSE
      by Hafiz

      Light
      will someday split you open
      even if your life is now a cage,

      for a divine seed, the crown of destiny,
      is hidden and sown on an ancient, fertile plain
      you hold the title to.

      Love will surely bust you wide open
      into an unfettered, blooming new galaxy

      even if your mind is now
      a spoiled mule.

      A life-giving radiance will come,
      the Friend's gratuity will come---

      O look again within yourself,
      for I know you were once the elegant host
      to all the marvels in creation.

      From a sacred crevice in your body
      a bow rises each night
      and shoots your soul into God.

      Behold the Beautiful Drunk Singing One
      from the lunar vantage point of love.

      He is conducting the affairs
      of the whole universe

      while throwing wild parties
      in a tree house---on a limb
      in your heart.

      THE PLACE WHERE YOU ARE RIGHT NOW
      by Hafiz

      This place where you are right now
      God circled on a map for you.

      Wherever your eyes and arms and heart can move
      against the earth and sky,
      the Beloved has bowed there---

      Our Beloved has bowed there knowing
      you were coming.

      I could tell you a priceless secret about
      your real worth, dear pilgrim,

      but any unkindness to yourself,
      any confusion about others,

      will keep one
      from accepting the grace, the love,

      the sublime freedom
      Divine knowledge always offers to you.

      Never mind, Hafiz, about
      the great requirements this path demands
      of the wayfarers,

      for your soul is too full of wine tonight
      to withhold the wondrous Truth from this world.

      But because I am so clever and generous,
      I have already clearly woven a resplendent lock
      of His tresses

      as a remarkable truth and gift
      in this poem for you.

      Click here: Yahoo! Groups : VoicesOfThePhilosophersStone
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoicesOfThePhilosophersStone

      From the Home Page:

      The above site is an open group for open minds who enjoy poetry
      and the food for thought it provides. It is a place to share either personal
      poetry or that of a favorite poet. It is a place for the voice of all. Especially
      for those who have no voice, this is the place of the "voice of wee".

      Novice and experienced poets are equally welcome. Besides, is there
      really any such thing as a "novice" or are there only varying degrees of
      remembering the depth of the soul?

      A few years ago, I had a thought that the pineal gland is the "philosopher's
      stone" mentioned in ancient alchemy, hence, the naming of this group.
      Thoughts, followed by action, have the ability change "lead into gold"
      (which is what the philosopher's stone is purported to have the ability to
      do) on our journey into consciousness.

      In the book "The Art of Poetry" by French poet Paul Valery (1871-1945) he
      says "Between Voice and Thought, between Thought and Voice, between
      Presence and Absence,oscillates the poetic pendulum".

      To all who have found their way to this site, welcome to that place between pendulum swings, where beats the heart of the poet.

      Whether sharing personal poetry or that of others, please include the poet's
      full name and contact information such as e-mail address, book title, etc.
      This will help cut down on poems by the most famous poet of all, "unknown".

      In the spirit of poetic license and poetry emotion, :-)

      Sharon Pacione
      Wdestiny44@...