8486Excerpt From 'The Farewell' From the book The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

  • coronaborealis444
    Aug 4, 2014
      Excerpt From 'The Farewell'
      From The Book "The Prophet"
      by Kahlil Gibran

      I am ready.
       The stream has reached the sea,
      and once more the great mother holds her son against her breast.

      Fare you well, people of Orphalese.
      This day has ended.
      It is closing upon us even as the water-lily upon its own tomorrow.
      What was given us here we shall keep,
      And if it suffices not, then again must we come together
       and together stretch our hands unto the giver.
      Forget not that I shall come back to you.
      A little while, and my longing shall gather dust and foam for another body.
      A little while, a moment of rest upon the wind, and another woman shall bear me.

      Farewell to you and the youth I have spent with you.
      It was but yesterday we met in a dream.
      You have sung to me in my aloneness, and I of your longings have built a tower in the sky.
      But now our sleep has fled and our dream is over, and it is no longer dawn.
      The noontide is upon us and our half waking has turned to fuller day, and we must part.

      If in the twilight of memory we should meet once more,
      we shall speak again together and you shall sing to me a deeper song.
      And if our hands should meet in another dream, we shall build another tower in the sky.

      See the entire 'Farewell' at the following link.
      The one shared here is my favorite part from near the end.
      http://allpoetry.com/poem/8511819-The-Farewell-by-Khalil-Gibran#sthash.cdjZRD7S.dpuf