8462Call Me By My True Names by Thich Nhat Hanh

  • coronaborealis444
    May 10, 2014

      Call Me by My True Names
      Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
      because even today I still arrive.
      Look deeply: I arrive in every second
      to be a bud on a spring branch,
      to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
      learning to sing in my new nest,
      to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
      to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.
      I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
      in order to fear and to hope.
      The rhythm of my heart is the birth and
      death of all that are alive.
      I am the mayfly metamorphosing on the surface of the river,
      and I am the bird which, when spring comes, arrives in time
      to eat the mayfly.
      I am the frog swimming happily in the clear pond,
      and I am also the grass-snake who, approaching in silence,
      feeds itself on the frog.
      I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones,
      my legs as thin as bamboo sticks,
      and I am the arms merchant, selling deadly weapons to
      Uganda.
      I am the twelve-year-old girl, refugee on a small boat,
      who throws herself into the ocean after being raped by a sea
      pirate,
      and I am the pirate, my heart not yet capable of seeing and
      loving.
      I am a member of the politburo, with plenty of power in my
      hands,
      and I am the man who has to pay his "debt of blood" to, my
      people,
      dying slowly in a forced labor camp.
      My joy is like spring, so warm it makes flowers bloom in all
      walks of life.
      My pain if like a river of tears, so full it fills the four oceans.
      Please call me by my true names,
      so I can hear all my cries and laughs at once,
      so I can see that my joy and pain are one.
      Please call me by my true names,
      so I can wake up,
      and so the door of my heart can be left open,
      the door of compassion.
      Thich Nhat Hanh