8425Billy Collins poem: As If to Demonstrate an Eclipse

  • coronaborealis444
    Oct 31 6:00 PM
      Here's a lovely 'coincidence.' Yesterday I was looking up poetry books that Billy Collins has published over the years.  Today, this poem of his showed up in my email. I love moments like that!

      As If to Demonstrate an Eclipse

      I pick an orange from a wicker basket
      and place it on the table
      to represent the sun.
      Then down at the other end
      a blue and white marble
      becomes the earth
      and nearby I lay the little moon of an aspirin.

      I get a glass from a cabinet,
      open a bottle of wine,
      then I sit in a ladder-back chair,
      a benevolent god presiding
      over a miniature creation myth,

      and I begin to sing
      a homemade canticle of thanks
      for this perfect little arrangement,
      for not making the earth too hot or cold
      not making it spin too fast or slow

      so that the grove of orange trees
      and the owl become possible,
      not to mention the rolling wave,
      the play of clouds, geese in flight,
      and the Z of lightning on a dark lake.

      Then I fill my glass again
      and give thanks for the trout,
      the oak, and the yellow feather,

      singing the room full of shadows,
      as sun and earth and moon
      circle one another in their impeccable orbits
      and I get more and more cockeyed with gratitude.

      ~ Billy Collins ~

      (Nine Horses)