1The Poet by Kahlil Gibran

  • Sharon Pacione
    Aug 14, 2001
      Hi Everyone:

      Welcome to the list. There was what I call a "holy cow"
      moment in choosing the first poem for this list. Just
      picked a book at random and on page 44 (my favorite
      number) was the following poem which I had never before
      read. Enjoy.

      I look forward to the sharing of everyone drawn to this list.

      Peace and love,
      Sharon 444
      (Sharon Pacione)

      THE POET

      He is a link between this and the coming world. He is
      A pure spring from which all thirsty souls may drink.

      He is a tree watered by the River of Beauty, bearing
      Fruit which the hungry heart craves;
      He is a nightingale, soothing the depressed
      Spirit with his beautiful melodies;
      He is a white cloud appearing over the horizon,
      Ascending and growing until it fills the face of the sky.
      Then it falls on the flowers in the Field of Life,
      Opening their petals to admit the light.

      He is an angel, sent by the goddess to
      Preach the Deity's gospel;
      He is a brilliant lamp, unconquered by darkness
      And inextinguishable by the wind. It is filled with
      Oil by Ishtar of Love, and lighted by Apollon of Music.

      He is a solitary figure, robed in simplicity and
      Kindness; He sits upon the lap of Nature to draw his
      Inspiration, and stays up in the silence of the night,
      Awaiting the descending of the spirit.

      He is a sower who sows the seeds of his heart in the
      Prairies of affection, and humanity reaps the
      Harvest for her nourishment.

      This is the poet - whom the people ignore in this life,
      And who is recognized only after he bids the earthly
      World farewell and returns to his arbor in heaven.

      This is the poet - who asks naught of
      Humanity but a smile.
      This is the poet - whose spirits ascends and
      Fills the firmament with beautiful sayings;
      Yet the people deny themselves his radiance.

      Until when shall the people remain asleep?
      Until when shall they continue to glorify those
      Who attained greatness by moments of advantage?
      How long shall they ignore those who enable
      Them to see the beauty of their spirit,
      Symbol of peace and love?
      Until when shall human beings honor the dead
      And forget the living, who spend their lives
      Encircled in misery, and who consume themselves
      Like burning candles to illuminate the way
      For the ignorant and lead them into the path of light.

      Poet, you are the life of this life, and you have
      Triumphed over the ages despite their severity.

      Poet, you will one day rule the hearts, and
      Therefore, your kingdom has no ending.
      Poet, examine your crown of thorns; you will
      Find concealed in it a budding wreath of laurel.

      ~~~~~~~~~Kahlil Gibran
      from the book: "Tears and Laughter"
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic