Howdy and VoiceCode status (?)

  • Chip
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 4:07 PM
      Hi, everyone! I'm hoping to rejoin the voice-coding discussion after
      a lengthy hiatus. About five years ago I was on the Voice Recognition
      Users Group, and then had to drop out when I got too busy to keep up.
      I think I still have a folder with 1500 archived messages that I intend
      to read "someday". :) I'm happy to see that many people from the group
      have re-convened here, along with some insightful new voices.

      I have been reading through the archives, and I'm very excited about
      the prospects offered by VoiceCode. What is the current status of that?
      Any idea on when the beta version might be released?

      If you are still looking for extra programmers, I would certainly be
      willing to help. Unfortunately, I suspect that my skills would not be
      that useful to the project, as I've had little experience doing Windows
      programming. In particular, I have done nothing in the way of inter-process
      programming, which seems to be what you need to make editor plug-ins.
      Still, if there is anything that I can do with my "Joe Six-Pack" programming
      skills, let me know.

      -Chip

      Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com
    • Alain Desilets
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 5:49 PM
        Hi Chip,

        Chip wrote:

        > I have been reading through the archives, and I'm very excited about
        > the prospects offered by VoiceCode. What is the current status of that?
        > Any idea on when the beta version might be released?

        The two ingredients that are missing are:

        1) A simple correction mechanism. David Fox has been working on that but lately
        he's been pretty busy with his PhD.

        2) A link to an actual editor. Wieger Wesselink is making good progress on
        connecting VoiceCode to jEdit, a simple Java based editor.

        Once those two components are implemented, we will have a useful tool that we can
        start using and extending.

        > If you are still looking for extra programmers, I would certainly be
        > willing to help. Unfortunately, I suspect that my skills would not be
        > that useful to the project, as I've had little experience doing Windows
        > programming. In particular, I have done nothing in the way of inter-process
        > programming, which seems to be what you need to make editor plug-ins.
        > Still, if there is anything that I can do with my "Joe Six-Pack" programming
        > skills, let me know.

        There are plenty of different tasks on the project and almost none of them
        involve Windows programming or inter-process programming. But you do need to know
        Python (which is very easy to learn). Give me a shout if you are still
        interested.

        Alain D├ęsilets
      • Chip
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 12:38 PM
          > --- In VoiceCoder@y..., Alain Desilets <alain.desilets@n...> wrote:
          >
          > The two ingredients that are missing are:
          >
          > 1) A simple correction mechanism. David Fox has been working on that
          > but lately
          > he's been pretty busy with his PhD.
          >
          > 2) A link to an actual editor. Wieger Wesselink is making good
          > progress on
          > connecting VoiceCode to jEdit, a simple Java based editor.
          >
          > Once those two components are implemented, we will have a useful tool
          > that we can
          > start using and extending.
          <snip...>
          > There are plenty of different tasks on the project and almost none
          > of
          > them
          > involve Windows programming or inter-process programming. But you do
          > need to know
          > Python (which is very easy to learn). Give me a shout if you are still
          > interested.

          Sounds good. I've been working on learning Python anyway, and it would
          be nice to have some concrete project to focus my efforts. I am also
          working on a Ph.D., so I will be limited to doing this in my free time,
          but I suppose that's the nature of the beast with open-source stuff.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 1:31 PM
            Chip wrote:

            > Sounds good. I've been working on learning Python anyway, and it would
            > be nice to have some concrete project to focus my efforts. I am also
            > working on a Ph.D., so I will be limited to doing this in my free time,
            > but I suppose that's the nature of the beast with open-source stuff.

            OK. Let's see if we can figure out something that will interest you. Here are
            some candidate tasks that are in my todo list. If none of those seem of
            interest, let me know and I can send you more (or you can come up with your
            own ideas based on what you know of VoiceCode).

            a) Develop a set of commands for language X (where X is your favourite
            language). Right now, the only supported language is Python but Wieger
            Wesselink has one of his students working on this for C/C++. Other
            candidates are Java, and Perl.

            b) Figure out how to make it possible to toggle VoiceCode translation so that
            users can dictate comments using the DNS dictation grammar.

            c) Implement a what-can-I-say documentation generator. For example, use the
            docstrings of the commands to generate an HTML page that makes for easy
            browsing of commands by language and context

            e) Implement commands for continuously repeating commands of type repeatable.
            E.g. "page down" followed by "keep doing that", followed by "stop".

            f) Turn SelectPseudCode commands into a repeatable bidirectionnal command
            type. This would make it possible to say "select some bit of code" and then
            have the system select the next/previous occurence of that pseudo code by
            saying "next one" or "previous one".

            Cheers,

            Alain