Re: Autoguiding a SXW using an Orion Star Shoot Autoguider

  • Vladimir
    Message 1 of 25 , May 2, 2011
      I am really interested to continue this conversation. I have spent a lot of time tuning the Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider to work properly with Sphinx SWX, but so far not a lot of success. Here you can see pictures of star treks that cannot be explained by other than what you, Lynn, just described (note the peculiar square trajectory of stars).

      http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/c/0/554/1041554/f_20494805.jpg

      If this is something commonplace among the Sphinx mount owners, I hope there should be some precise instruction on how to build a specific cable that cures the ST4 mismatch. As far as I remember, when I upgraded the StarBook firmware, I also asked a PC master to implement a cross-wired cable. Is this cable suitable to connect the Orion starshoot controller/camera?

      Volony

      --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <hlkriz132@...> wrote:

      > I think there are several issues being discussed in this post.
      > As to the posters original question. YES the pin outs must match. Ra+ must match RA+, RA- most match RA- and so on. If they don't when the auto guiding software sends a command it may send it to the wrong motor such as to DEC when it should go to RA. OR it could send it to DEC+ when it should go to DEC-. This will make guiding impossible. The fact that both the mount and guider is ST 4 compatible doesn't necessarily mean that the pins match.
      > For instance, I had a Vixen GPDX with SyySensor 2000 and the pin out did not match the SBIG ST237a camera's pin out. I had to make an adapter. When I changed to a SXV camera I had to make another.
      > When I switched to the Sphinx , the SXV pins aligned perfectly with the Star Book's.
      >
      > I am not familiar with the Star Shoot's pin out arrangement.
      > The second issue of making the pixel orientation of the guide camera aligned with the RA/DEC axes. My experience is that it depends on the guiding software. SBIG CCDSoft does need the guide camera aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I use Maxim DL and it does not need the camera aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I don't use PHD, but I don't think it does either.
      >
      > As far as the guiding software getting confused as to which axes to correct because the Guide Camera pixels are not aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I think most guiding software, such as Maxim, accounts for this when it does calibration. When it moves the mount in DEC-, it now knows which direction (pixels) show up on the guide chip for DEC-. And conversely DEC+, RA+ and RA-. CCDSoft was unable to compute this. This is one of the primary reasons for calibrating. The other is to inform the guiding software how many pixels are covered for a given time.
      >
      > So, I can say for sure that Maxim DL does not require the guide camera to be aligned with the mount axes.
      >
      > Lynn
      >

      > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "lgoodsell@" <lgoodsell@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
      > > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything I need to do deal with this mismatch??????
      > >
      > > Larry

    • Dominique
      Message 2 of 25 , May 2, 2011
        Hi,

        about the ST4 cable, I think there is no issue.
        I use also a standalone guiding system ( lacerta MGEN )and I was concerned about the wiring. The key point is to have RA wires matching with RA wires on both sides ( same for DEC ) but even if RA + is for RA- on the other side the calibration stage notes the way the star is drifting and will operate taking into account the reality. ( sorry if my english is too poor to explain that more properly ? )
        I did not change the standard ST4 cable and it's work perfectly.

        Regards
        Dominique

        --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <volony@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > So, I can say for sure that Maxim DL does not require the guide camera to be aligned with the mount axes.
        > >
        > > Lynn
        > >

        > > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "lgoodsell@" <lgoodsell@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
        > > > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything I need to do deal with this mismatch??????

      • Lawrence Goodsell
        Message 3 of 25 , May 2, 2011
          Thanks Mike for  a definitive answer?

          Larry

          > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
          > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider
          > manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do
          > not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything
          > I need to do deal with this mismatch??????

          No.

          You will want to align the RA axis with the horizontal guider axis in PHD for best results since you want to minimize the DEC corrections. Simply slew your telescope in RA and rotate the guider until the star movements in the PHD display are horizontal.

          ---
          Michael McCulloch

        • Lawrence Goodsell
          Message 4 of 25 , May 2, 2011
            Vladimir,
            Check the manuals for both the SXW and the Autoguider.  There are illustrations for both RJ12 recepticals.  The (+,-) for RA & Dec are reversed.

            That's very interesting point indeed! I own Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider and Vixen Sphinx SXW myself, and I even tested the entire guidable setup some time ago (results were all but impressive). I never paid attention to what you describe as a pinout mismatch. There should be one cord connectable to the Orion controller, while another one should be plugged to Sphinx's ST4 ("ethernet"-like) outlet. I assume, you identified them correctly?

            Volony

            --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "lgoodsell@..." <lgoodsell@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
            > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything I need to do deal with this mismatch??????
            >
            > Larry

          • Lawrence Goodsell
            Message 5 of 25 , May 2, 2011
              Lynn,
              Thanks for your input on the subject.  I have made an adaptation to the autoguider cable swiching +/- for RA and Dec.  Results have been good and very bad.  Thus the confusion.
              Larry

              I think there are several issues being discussed in this post.
              As to the posters original question. YES the pin outs must match. Ra+ must match RA+, RA- most match RA- and so on. If they don't when the auto guiding software sends a command it may send it to the wrong motor such as to DEC when it should go to RA. OR it could send it to DEC+ when it should go to DEC-. This will make guiding impossible. The fact that both the mount and guider is ST 4 compatible doesn't necessarily mean that the pins match.
              For instance, I had a Vixen GPDX with SyySensor 2000 and the pin out did not match the SBIG ST237a camera's pin out. I had to make an adapter. When I changed to a SXV camera I had to make another.
              When I switched to the Sphinx , the SXV pins aligned perfectly with the Star Book's.

              I am not familiar with the Star Shoot's pin out arrangement.
              The second issue of making the pixel orientation of the guide camera aligned with the RA/DEC axes. My experience is that it depends on the guiding software. SBIG CCDSoft does need the guide camera aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I use Maxim DL and it does not need the camera aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I don't use PHD, but I don't think it does either.

              As far as the guiding software getting confused as to which axes to correct because the Guide Camera pixels are not aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I think most guiding software, such as Maxim, accounts for this when it does calibration. When it moves the mount in DEC-, it now knows which direction (pixels) show up on the guide chip for DEC-. And conversely DEC+, RA+ and RA-. CCDSoft was unable to compute this. This is one of the primary reasons for calibrating. The other is to inform the guiding software how many pixels are covered for a given time.

              So, I can say for sure that Maxim DL does not require the guide camera to be aligned with the mount axes.

              Lynn

              --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "lgoodsell@..." <lgoodsell@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
              > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything I need to do deal with this mismatch??????
              >
              > Larry

            • Vladimir
              Message 6 of 25 , May 2, 2011
                Thanks, Dominique. Although you do have good results with autoguiding, I am still not 100% convinced. I try to make up the whole scenario in my head. Imagine the controller is only trained to send one-way signals (0/1) along each pin contact. If it sees the star drifting in other direction it cannot send the "-1" signal...
                I looked in the Web and got assured that there is a PIN mismatch indeed:

                This is how Vixen Sphinx schematic looks:
                http://www.vixenoptics.com/PDF/Autoguider_Port_Pins.htm

                And this is the same thing for Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider:
                http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/b/3/554/1041554/f_19772882.jpg

                See the difference!

                Volony

                --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Dominique" <dominique.joubert@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > As far as the guiding software getting confused as to which axes to correct because the Guide Camera pixels are not aligned with the RA/DEC axes. I think most guiding software, such as Maxim, accounts for this when it does calibration. When it moves the mount in DEC-, it now knows which direction (pixels) show up on the guide chip for DEC-. And conversely DEC+, RA+ and RA-. CCDSoft was unable to compute this. This is one of the primary reasons for calibrating. The other is to inform the guiding software how many pixels are covered for a given time.
                > > >
                > > > So, I can say for sure that Maxim DL does not require the guide camera to be aligned with the mount axes.

              • jose.mtanous
                Message 7 of 25 , May 2, 2011
                  Hi,

                  It doesn't matter if the pins are flipped as long as they belong to the same axis. That is why you are calibrating the autoguider.

                  The pinout that you provided is compatible. So the problem resides in another part of your system.

                  Cheers,

                  Jose

                  --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <volony@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks, Dominique. Although you do have good results with autoguiding, I am still not 100% convinced. I try to make up the whole scenario in my head. Imagine the controller is only trained to send one-way signals (0/1) along each pin contact. If it sees the star drifting in other direction it cannot send the "-1" signal...
                  > I looked in the Web and got assured that there is a PIN mismatch indeed:
                  >
                  > This is how Vixen Sphinx schematic looks:
                  > http://www.vixenoptics.com/PDF/Autoguider_Port_Pins.htm
                  >
                  > And this is the same thing for Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider:
                  > http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/b/3/554/1041554/f_19772882.jpg
                  >
                  > See the difference!
                  >
                  > Volony
                  >
                  > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Dominique" <dominique.joubert@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > about the ST4 cable, I think there is no issue.
                  > > I use also a standalone guiding system ( lacerta MGEN )and I was concerned about the wiring. The key point is to have RA wires matching with RA wires on both sides ( same for DEC ) but even if RA + is for RA- on the other side the calibration stage notes the way the star is drifting and will operate taking into account the reality. ( sorry if my english is too poor to explain that more properly ? )
                  > > I did not change the standard ST4 cable and it's work perfectly.
                  > >
                  > > Regards
                  > > Dominique
                  > >
                  > > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <volony@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > I am really interested to continue this conversation. I have spent a lot of time tuning the Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider to work properly with Sphinx SWX, but so far not a lot of success. Here you can see pictures of star treks that cannot be explained by other than what you, Lynn, just described (note the peculiar square trajectory of stars).
                  > > >
                  > > > http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/c/0/554/1041554/f_20494805.jpg
                  > > >
                  > > > If this is something commonplace among the Sphinx mount owners, I hope there should be some precise instruction on how to build a specific cable that cures the ST4 mismatch. As far as I remember, when I upgraded the StarBook firmware, I also asked a PC master to implement a cross-wired cable. Is this cable suitable to connect the Orion starshoot controller/camera?
                  > > >
                  > > > Volony

                • Dominique
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 2, 2011
                    Hi volony,

                    I agree, there is a difference, but as explained with the jose'answer. we dont care about this mismatch. The calibration observe how the mount react, and learn how which signal to send when there is drift. The key point is to send signa RA for RA and DEC for DEC, but the mismatch is limited without mixing RA and DEC signals.

                    I hope it's clearer now ?

                    Cordialement
                    Dominique

                    --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <volony@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, Dominique. Although you do have good results with autoguiding, I am still not 100% convinced. I try to make up the whole scenario in my head. Imagine the controller is only trained to send one-way signals (0/1) along each pin contact. If it sees the star drifting in other direction it cannot send the "-1" signal...
                    > I looked in the Web and got assured that there is a PIN mismatch indeed:
                    >
                    > This is how Vixen Sphinx schematic looks:
                    > http://www.vixenoptics.com/PDF/Autoguider_Port_Pins.htm
                    >
                    > And this is the same thing for Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider:
                    > http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/b/3/554/1041554/f_19772882.jpg
                    >
                    > See the difference!
                    >
                    > Volony
                    >
                    > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Dominique" <dominique.joubert@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > about the ST4 cable, I think there is no issue.
                    > > I use also a standalone guiding system ( lacerta MGEN )and I was concerned about the wiring. The key point is to have RA wires matching with RA wires on both sides ( same for DEC ) but even if RA + is for RA- on the other side the calibration stage notes the way the star is drifting and will operate taking into account the reality. ( sorry if my english is too poor to explain that more properly ? )
                    > > I did not change the standard ST4 cable and it's work perfectly.
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > > Dominique
                    > >
                    > > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <volony@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > I am really interested to continue this conversation. I have spent a lot of time tuning the Orion Starshoot Solitaire autoguider to work properly with Sphinx SWX, but so far not a lot of success. Here you can see pictures of star treks that cannot be explained by other than what you, Lynn, just described (note the peculiar square trajectory of stars).
                    > > >
                    > > > http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/foto/c/0/554/1041554/f_20494805.jpg
                    > > >
                    > > > If this is something commonplace among the Sphinx mount owners, I hope there should be some precise instruction on how to build a specific cable that cures the ST4 mismatch. As far as I remember, when I upgraded the StarBook firmware, I also asked a PC master to implement a cross-wired cable. Is this cable suitable to connect the Orion starshoot controller/camera?
                    > > >
                    > > > Volony

                  • Lynn
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 2, 2011
                      Hi Vonoly, You might want to check your guide cable. The two Modular Plugs (RJ25) should be rotated. In other words, one of the clips on the RJ25 at one end should be up and at the other end the clip should be down. I know this seems illogical, but is necessary for the pins to align up.

                      The only time I have seen star streaks like that is when by pin outs did not match. My guess is that there is something wrong with the guide cable. The Ra commands are not going the RA and DEC commands are not going to DEC.

                      The only other thing I can think might cause it, is very poor calibration. How many pixels does the guide star move across when you calibrate. You want about 20. Some guiding software will settle for 5 pixels, but everything I have read suggests at least 20.

                      Lynn

                    • Vladimir
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 29, 2011
                        Yesterday I checked my new wiring from StarBook autoguider port to Orion Starshoot Solitaire Autoguider compensating for the PINout mismatch earlier mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately, the experiment entirely failed: after the Starshoot controller pops up the message "STAR FOUND!" at the next stage ("Adjusting exposure") it thinks too long and, finally, ends up with "STAR NOT FOUND!" I checked visually through the parafocal eyepiece: the autoguider makes the star repeatedly drifting eastward towards the edge of field of view. I am left to guess what this behavior is caused by... just trashed yet one more astroshooting night...

                        Volony

                        --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "lgoodsell@..." <lgoodsell@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
                        > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything I need to do deal with this mismatch??????
                        >
                        > Larry

                      • jose.mtanous
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 29, 2011
                          Velony,

                          Last week I did some testing with my new SXD and Starshoot autoguider, I didn't have any trouble autoguiding (other than the DEC jumps). I guess the SSAG and your autoguider share the same pinout. So it is very likely that your problem is in other part of your system.

                          One way to discard any pinout/electrical issue is to guide the mount using ASCOM. If your manage to guide the mount using ASCOM it is very likely that you have a faulty augoguider cable or guider camera.

                          Cheers,

                          Jose

                          --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <volony@...> wrote:

                          > Yesterday I checked my new wiring from StarBook autoguider port to Orion Starshoot Solitaire Autoguider compensating for the PINout mismatch earlier mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately, the experiment entirely failed: after the Starshoot controller pops up the message "STAR FOUND!" at the next stage ("Adjusting exposure") it thinks too long and, finally, ends up with "STAR NOT FOUND!" I checked visually through the parafocal eyepiece: the autoguider makes the star repeatedly drifting eastward towards the edge of field of view. I am left to guess what this behavior is caused by... just trashed yet one more astroshooting night...
                          >
                          > Volony
                          >
                          > --- In Vixen_Sphinx@yahoogroups.com, "lgoodsell@" <lgoodsell@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi,
                          > > I,m new to the group and have an autoquiding question.
                          > > Eventhough, the Vixen SWX manual and the Orion autoguider manuals both say they are ST4 compatible, thier pin outs do not match. They are basically reversed. Is there anything I need to do deal with this mismatch??????
                          > >
                          > > Larry

                        • Michael Miller
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 30, 2011
                            I've used an SXD an Orion ssag and now a loadstar. It works perfectly out of the box. The st4 is standard on the starbook and the guider. I think you might be confused, there's nothing unique about vixen.
                          • Lynn
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 31, 2011
                              Most pin set ups by most manufactures are 1=NC, 2=ground, 3=RA+, 4=DEC+, 5=DEC-, 6=RA-. In the Star Book pin #3 is RA- and pin #6 is RA+. The polarities of the RA pins are reversed. As far I know Vixen has never had its pin arrangements the same as most manufactures. The Sky Sensor 2000 was worst.

                              The Star Book RA pins will be polarity reversed from the Star Shoot. As stated in a previous post, most guiding programs should calculate for this during the mount calibration process. However, I have found in reality they don't. I used Maxim DL 4, which has one of the most sophisticated guiding programs on the market, and I still needed to build an guide cable adapter in order to get correct guiding. However, I never could resolve the DEC random jumps caused by the Star Book. I hope Jose has better luck with the NexSXD.

                              It is important that the RJ25 plugs be oriented correctly on the guide cable. They must be reversed, on one end the clip must be up and the clip should be down on the other end.

                              Lynn

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 1, 2011
                                Mine worked perfect from the box. The pins were not reversed
                              • Vladimir
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 1, 2011
                                  Lynn,

                                  Would you please please please tell us more about your guiding cable adapter? I simply asked someone to build a "semi-crossover" RJ12 cable for me, however, so far it hasn't justified my expectations!

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 1, 2011
                                    Hi Volony, I have no idea how to make a RJ12, CAT5 cable work, or even if it will.

                                    This is what I know. If you go to the Vixen web site for the "Sphinx Mount Auto Guider Pin Layout", you will see that Pin #3 is RA- and pin #6 is RA+.

                                    http://www.vixenoptics.com/PDF/Autoguider_Port_Pins.htm

                                    If you go to the Orion site and look at the manual for the Star Shoot Auto guider, page 3, you will see that pin #3 is RA+ and pin #6 is RA-.
                                    http://www.telescope.com/Product Support/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider/pc/191/c/244/sc/285/p/99565.uts?refineByCategoryId=null

                                    Some/most guiding programs should correct for the different polarities when you calibrate the mount. However, I still had problematic guiding, so I made an adapter.

                                    It is made from a 6 wire modular jack used for land line telephones. I just made sure that I connected the corresponding pins from the modular jack (say DEC+) to the corresponding pins on the RJ25 plug. The RJ25 plug goes into the Star Book ST4 jack. A guide cable is then connected from the Modular Jack to the guide camera (in my case a Starlight Xpress SXV via the SXVF-H9 camera).
                                    You must make sure the RJ25 plugs are in correct orientation. The plugs must be reversed. One of the clips should point up and the other down. Here is an example.

                                    This is so when the plugs are plugged in the pins will line up. As shown here.

                                    Volony, your guiding problem may result from using a RJ12 Cat5 cable. If you use a standard guiding cable made from 6 wire phone wire with RJ25 plugs, positioned the way I have shown, you may not need an adapter at all. Connect the cable directly from the ST4 jack to the guide camera. You guiding software may correct for the polarity difference when you calibrate the mount.

                                    Hope this helps,
                                    Lynn

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 1, 2011
                                      Volony, I'm sorry some of my links don't work. The photos are in the Photos section under the file Lynn K.

                                      Lynn

> [...]
                                      > > >
                                      > > > The Star Book RA pins will be polarity reversed from the Star Shoot. As stated in a previous post, most guiding programs should calculate for this during the mount calibration process. However, I have found in reality they don't. I used Maxim DL 4, which has one of the most sophisticated guiding programs on the market, and I still needed to build an guide cable adapter in order to get correct guiding. However, I never could resolve the DEC random jumps caused by the Star Book. I hope Jose has better luck with the NexSXD.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It is important that the RJ25 plugs be oriented correctly on the guide cable. They must be reversed, on one end the clip must be up and the clip should be down on the other end.

                                    • pawb63
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 18, 2011
                                        While I am not happy that other people are having problems with their Sphinx mounts and their Orion Star Shoot Autoguiders, at least I do not feel that I am not the only one with this problem. I found that I am not able to get the mount to move so that it will calibrate in PhD. I saw that Vixen has released a newer version of their firmware, back in May. Has anyone tried their mounts with the new firmware installed. I would have thought that the wire/cable pinouts should have been the standard ST-4 set up. Thanks.
                                        Paul WB