Request for information

  • vehicles33
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2003
      Dear Group,
      I am a new member of the group and appreciate the previous postings.

      My parents were born in Vishtinetz in the 1880's. They emigrated to
      the United States in 1912. Most of their familys were already here.
      My mother's maiden name was Falk. Her aunt was Bailey Arnsdorf of
      the Arnsdorf store. Both my mother and her sister were sent to
      school in East Prussia by the Arnsdorfs.

      My father's family name was Benigson. His father had a number of
      brothers of whom we have no trace. His only sibling to remain in
      Vishtinetz was Chaveh Salenson.

      Any information you might have on Falk, Arnsdorf, Benigson or
      Salenson would be appreciated.

      Regards,
      SA
    • Bert Oppenheim
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2003
        I have relatives in the Arnsdorf family. Most are buried in Goshen Indiana. I am sending you one of the legs of the Arnsdorff family. Please notice that Israel was from Michum that is just across the Russian border from Vishtinetz. I walked across the border and took a picture of the Arnsdorf store that is a remodeled home at this time.

        If you go to shtetlinks and look up my Vishtinetz entry you will see the cover of my book that has the picture of the Arnsdorff house in Michum. In my book I have an entry talking about the store that the young people from Vishtinetz would sneek across the bourder by going across the cemetery and go to the store to buy penny candy.

        I hope some of these names help. If you can give me more details I will look at my files.

        Descendants of Israel Arnsdorff

        1 Israel Arnsdorff d: 1889 b: 1824 in Michum, Lithuania

        .. +Emestine Hirsh d: 1894 b: 1824 in Libeau, East Prussia

        .. 2 Lina Arnsdorff d: 1935 b: 1850 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ...... +Levine

        .. 2 Marcus Max Arnsdorff d: November 1939 in Berlin, Germany b: September 10, 1853 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ...... +Rosalie Simon d: 1928 in Zinten, East Prussia b: May 25, 1856

        ....... 3 William (Willie) Arnsdorff d: March 25, 1919 in France b: August 7, 1879 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ........... +Liesbath Rachman d: 1963 in Brazil b: April 1881

        ....... 3 Alfred Arnsdorff d: September 1, 1960 in Utica, New York b: November 14, 1880 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ........... +Helene Sandelowsky d: May 20, 1954 in Utica, New York b: March 9, 1885 in Nordenburg, East Prussia m: February 6, 1906

        ............ 4 Erika Arnsdorff d: September 17, 1988 in Westwood, New Jersey b: November 1, 1906

        ............ 4 Ursula (Ule) Kaethe Arnsdorff d: May 16, 2001 in San Diago, California b: May 8, 1911 in Konigsberg, East Prussia

        ................ +Kurt Fraustaedter d: 1962 in Berlin, Germany b: 1899 in Guestrow, Germany

        ............ 4 [1] Margarete Arnsdorff d: July 7, 1880 in Nordenburg, East Prussia b: December 21, 1881 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ................ +[2] Siegmund Sandelowsky d: August 29, 1939 in Panama b: July 7, 1880 in Nordenburg, East Prussia m: September 17, 1903

        ....... 3 [1] Margarete Arnsdorff d: July 7, 1880 in Nordenburg, East Prussia b: December 21, 1881 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ........... +[2] Siegmund Sandelowsky d: August 29, 1939 in Panama b: July 7, 1880 in Nordenburg, East Prussia m: September 17, 1903

        .. 2 Henrietta Arnsdorff

        .. 2 Emilne Arnsdorff b: 1857 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ...... +Moritz Landecker

        ....... 3 Fritz Landecker d: 1933 b: 1880 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ........... +Pauline Rosengold d: 1956 in Australia

        ....... 3 Arthur Landecker d: 1958 in Utica, New York b: 1881 in Nordenburg, East Prussia

        ........... +Bertha Isersky d: 1958 in Israel b: 1891 in Nordenburg, East Prussia

        ....... 3 Alfred Landecker d: in KZ, Nazi Germany b: 1886 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ....... 3 Martha Landecker b: 1889 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ........... +Rabow b: in Karthaus East Prussia

        ....... 3 Max Landecker b: 1890 in Nordenburg, East Prussia

        ....... 3 Erich Landecker b: 1899

        ....... 3 George Landecker b: 1899

        .. 2 Rosa Arnsdorff d: 1941 in Konigsberg, East Prussia b: April 7, 1864 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ...... +Joseph Sass d: 1941 in Osteerode, East Prussia b: January 23, 1867 in Guttstadt, Kreis Gumbinner, Germany

        .. 2 Julius Arnsdorff d: 1891 in Berlin, Germany b: 1849 in Zinten, East Prussia

        ...... +Martha Less d: May 2, 1899 in Guttstadt, Kreis Gumbinner, Germany b: April 24, 1867

        ....... 3 Gertrude Arnsdorff d: February 14, 1944 in Guttstadt, Kreis Gumbinner, Germany b: May 15, 1889

        ........... +Gustav Meyer d: 1940 in On board ship for South America b: January 2, 1876 in Ostritz, Kreis Karthaus

        .. 2 Arthur Arnsdorff d: 1888 in Munich, Germany b: 1860 in Zinten, East Prussia

        I am a new member of the group and appreciate the previous postings.

        My parents were born in Vishtinetz in the 1880's.  They emigrated to
        the United States in 1912.  Most of their familys were already here.
        My mother's maiden name was Falk.  Her aunt was Bailey Arnsdorf of
        the Arnsdorf store.  Both my mother and her sister were sent to
        school in East Prussia by the Arnsdorfs.

        My father's family name was Benigson.  His father had a number of
        brothers of whom we have no trace.  His only sibling to remain in
        Vishtinetz was Chaveh Salenson.

        Any information you might have on Falk, Arnsdorf, Benigson or
        Salenson would be appreciated.

        Regards,
        SA

      • David L. Langenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
          Dear SA,

          The only Benigson immigrant I find on the Ellis Island database (http://www.ellisisland.org) is Benjamin Benigson, from "Wistidten," who was a passenger on the S. S. Statendam, from Rotterdam, on October 13, 1906, which arrived in New York on October 22, 1906.  He was aged 25, a brushmaker, 5' 5'', black hair, gray eyes.  His relative in the United States was a cousin, M. Rosenberg, Atlantic Avenue 51, Brooklyn, New York.

          I find the variant spellings of Vishtinetz (Wisztyniec) on the ship arrival manifestos truly fascinating!

          Is this your father, or a known relative?  Can you identify who M. Rosenberg might be?  Possibly from Vishtinetz, as well?

          David Langenberg

          vehicles33 wrote:
          Dear Group,
          I am a new member of the group and appreciate the previous postings.

          My parents were born in Vishtinetz in the 1880's.  They emigrated to
          the United States in 1912.  Most of their familys were already here.
          My mother's maiden name was Falk.  Her aunt was Bailey Arnsdorf of
          the Arnsdorf store.  Both my mother and her sister were sent to
          school in East Prussia by the Arnsdorfs.

          My father's family name was Benigson.  His father had a number of
          brothers of whom we have no trace.  His only sibling to remain in
          Vishtinetz was Chaveh Salenson.

          Any information you might have on Falk, Arnsdorf, Benigson or
          Salenson would be appreciated.

          Regards,
          SA

        • lwbst
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
            Hello,

            I am researching family who lived in Vistytis during the 1800's. I
            would like to know what types of documents may be located for that
            time period. I am interested in locating any information on the
            family especially birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death
            records etc. I know the family belonged to the German Evangelical
            Lutheran Church of the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            Thank you.
          • David L. Langenberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
              Dear lwbst,

              You are in luck as far as German Evangelical Lutheran Church from Vistytis are concerned. The Family History Library has microfilmed some records:

              Lithuania, Vištytis - Church records

              Titles
              Kirchenbuch, 1844-1885 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis (Suvalki)
              Metrical books, 1844-1941 / Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vishtitis (Suvalki)

              You can find this information at their Web site: http://www.familysearch.org You can request that these microfilm be sent from Salt Lake City to a nearby Family History Center. Information is available at FamilySearch.

              Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken, the Jewish records from Vistytis have not been filmed--which are my interest

              David Langenberg
              Newark, DE

              I am researching family who lived in Vistytis during the 1800's. I
              would like to know what types of documents may be located for that
              time period. I am interested in locating any information on the
              family especially birth, baptism, confirmation, marriage, death
              records etc. I know the family belonged to the German Evangelical
              Lutheran Church of the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Thank you.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • lwbst
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
                Dear David,

                Thank you so much for your reply and for the information.
                Yes, I did know about the records located at the Family History
                Library and have viewed them. Many of the family are located within
                the records and I was very happy to find the information.

                There is also an index of birth and marriages for the area, also
                available through the Family History Library. However the index
                information implies that there is another source of records. It is
                difficult to view as the microfilm index is on two seperate reels of
                film. One has the left pages of the record books and the other has
                the right pages of the records. The best way to view them is using
                two machines and going one page at a time. It is very easy to get
                lost within each year of information. You may want to try looking
                through these indexes to see if your family may be there.

                Would you know if there are any public records for the area, such as
                birth, death, marriage?

                Lauraly

                --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, " David L. Langenberg"