Goldberg

  • sherene_tregellas
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
      Hello List Members,

      I am researching Louis/Lewis Goldberg born c1853 in Vistytis (this
      information obtained from the 1881 Census for England). Louis may
      have had a sister named Rebecca born c1855.
      Louis married Sheba Harris in England in 1874 and named children
      Lionel, Rosa and Sarah. I would love to learn more about Louis and
      locate someone connected to this family.
      Any help would be appreciated.

      Best Wishes
      Sherene Tregellas
    • Bert Oppenheim
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
        Sherene, The following came from my Vishtinetz synagogue lists from 1830 -1860. The first showing Goldberg listing was the following three names Leyb must have been Lewis. The others possibly brothers. The father must have been Lozer (middle name) I didn't search the total list in that they are very long. They were on Access and my new computer doesn't have Access where I could do a search by name. Some day I will spend the $400.00 and buy Windows with Access.

        You can go to my Vishtinetz web site and read about my entry. My book has a very good autobiography written by a family member's father where he goes into his life in Vishtinetz and his immigration to America. When I wrote my book I had already visited Vishtinetz and was able to locate many of the places mentioned in his autobiography. It was quite a pleasant experience.

        Goldberg Josiel Lozer     1873  192
        Goldberg Leyb Lozer     1873  193
        Goldberg Peysach Lozer     1873  194

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
          Hi, Sherene

          Is your family Goldberg of the Jewish religion or Lutheran.  I have access to the German Lutheran church records from Vistytis, if this would help.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
            Good Morning Bill,

            Thank you for your reply.
            At this point I have to say I'm not really sure if the Goldberg family were Jewish or Lutheran. My elderly grandfather seems to recall talk of the family being Jewish. I sent off to England for a marriage certificate (1925) and the service was held in a Church of England church.
            I would appreciate your help with the Lutheran Church records for Vistytis.  Lewis Goldberg was born c1853 in Vistytis, he may have had a sister named Rebecca born c1855. Thats all I know about Lewis until he married Sheba in 1874 in England.

            Best Wishes
            Sherene