Re: [Vistytis] Leeds Question

  • Robert K
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2003
      There were many ports of arrival for immigrants besides those at NY. There is a
      list of these for which there are passenger lists at
      http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/immigrant_arrivals/passenger_rec
      ords.html
    • romitch30
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2003
        It would help if we had information on the routes followed by
        emigrants from Vistytis starting in the 1860s and for every decade
        after. Does anyone have such information for their kinsmen?

        I have gone through the records for these other ports -- with no
        success. (My relatives first arrived in 1865 followed by other
        relatives in the early 1880s followed still later through to the end
        of the century.) We have only been able to discover one of ten or so
        immigrants. She came directly from Bremen. We have not fully
        explored the Hamburg direct and indirect lists. It seems possible
        (likely) that the arrivals may have used different family names, so
        the key identifiers would be home (village), age, sex, and year of
        arrival. Some of these arrivals may have come directly from a
        European port, but I believe some came via England - - hence the
        interest in more northerly English ports (rather than only London).

        Thanks,

        REM