Re: [Vistytis] Leeds data (was digest 18)

  • Vishtenitz Research
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 8:48 AM
      Good question! I am currently looking at the 1881 census of Leeds. This is
      the first time that proper POBs appear (they are still infrequent, normally
      it's a country). Anything that looks like Vistytis I will post to this list
      as I extract it. The spelling variants can be tricky but
      www.familysearch.org has the 1881 census on line. It is possible to do
      global searches for people from Poland/Russia and then check each one for
      Vistytis but it could take you years.

      A better way to find those who went from Vistytis to the US is probably to
      use the Stephen Morse software on Ellis Island database. You can put in this
      sort of thing and the computer will do the rest. Then you can see who went
      where and what address they gave as *coming from*.

      More generally there is lots of information on Leeds Jewry compared to many
      UK cities. This is slowly coming on the 'net through sites such as
      www.jgsgb.org.uk and www.british-jewry.org.uk both of which have
      transcription projects in the pipeline for Leeds information.

      Yours in genealogy
      VR

      Is there any information on the Jews of Leeds and if this was a way
      station from Vistytis to the U.S. in the 1880s? If yes, did those who
      passed through Leeds go disproportionately more to any particular U.S.
      end point?