Re: [Vistytis] number of inhabitants

  • Robert K
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2003
      Bert,

      It says that at its peak in the 1800's there were approximately 3,000 people living there (almost half of whom were Jewish), compared to 650 in 1994. This is a relatively large number of people for, what seems to me to be such a small town. It makes me wonder if these numbers don't also include the people living in the surrounding areas.

      There is some interesting information at the Vishtinetz Shtetl website.

      Robert.