Re: [Vistytis] number of inhabitants

  • Bert Oppenheim
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2003
      Robert, my Vishtinetz entry in Jewishgen has some small entries regarding population. At the peak there were 1500 Jews. There is another entry lower down that will also help. The autobiography has more detail that should prove interesting.

      Open the attachment and you will be there.

      Bert
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2003
        Bert,

        It says that at its peak in the 1800's there were approximately 3,000 people living there (almost half of whom were Jewish), compared to 650 in 1994. This is a relatively large number of people for, what seems to me to be such a small town. It makes me wonder if these numbers don't also include the people living in the surrounding areas.

        There is some interesting information at the Vishtinetz Shtetl website.

        Robert.