Re: Looking for Baumann ancestors

  • shemyabound
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2012
      --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "fitch_lyn" <fitchlyn@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to find out anything I can about my father's family. My grandfather Carl Baumann was born in Wystiten on October 28, 1857, according to his family Bible. He had at least one brother, possibly named Hart.
      >
      > According to family history, the family called themselves German. One night several Prussian soldiers came into the house and went to the boys' beds. They declared that part of the house was in Prussian territory and took the boys to serve in the Prussian Army. Carl determined to go to the USA during his time in the army.
      >
      > He sailed from Hamburg on the Wieland on February 3, 1884 with several other people who listed their home as Suwalken, Russland. He was listed as an arbeiter (laborer).
      >
      > Reading the history of the area, I now understand why he spoke 8 languages when he came to the US and served as a court interpreter. He also had several businesses in the immigrant community, including a bicycle shop and a shoemaker. The census figures also tell me he watched what was happening in his homeland because he listed his birthplace by what the current situation was there.
      >
      > Any ideas of where to look for the information would be greatly appreciated.

      This is an interesting story. My great-grandfather came from Pavistytis about the same time. He and my grandmother identified themselves as Germans, but spoke several languages as well. They moved to Pittsburg, PA, where many other Lithuanians settled. I hope that you can find some information about your family, Out of curiosity, have you checked out the Mormon records? I have not checked yet, but word has it that they have the Lutheran Church records from Vysytis, if your grandfather was protestant.