Newly posted old photos of Vistytis

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
      I have just posted 2 school photos my grandfather had of Vistytis from around 1922 and 1917. I have been there and have seen other photos but I cannot match these to any in the town today. Can anyone else? Also, the 1922 photo is fairly clear. Perhaps you can see someone from your own family in it?

      Neil
    • nospamsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012
        Thanks for sharing these with us!

        Nobody I can identify personally. It is another Vistytis mystery.

        Did the kids all attend the same school whatever their ethnicity?

        Robert

        --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <nkm012870@...> wrote:

        > I have just posted 2 school photos my grandfather had of Vistytis from around 1922 and 1917. I have been there and have seen other photos but I cannot match these to any in the town today. Can anyone else? Also, the 1922 photo is fairly clear. Perhaps you can see someone from your own family in it?
        >
        > Neil

      • Neil
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2012
          The photo from about 1922 is of the town junior high school, or mittleschule as my grandfather called it. As I mentioned he and his sister are in the photo and are Jewish but others were not and there looks be a priest in front. My grandfather said that he went to cheder (Jewish school) after school.

          The earlier photo was taken in 1917. My mom (his daughter) thinks this might have been taken while the town was still occupied by Germany which explains why the public school was in German. We're a little unsure on this but we think it was my grandfather who wrote "German public school" at the top. Saying that, as you know, even after the war Vistytis was right on the Prussian border so the whole family spoke German anyway. Presumably that was a mixed school as well.

          Neil

          --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "nospamsky" <nospamsky@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for sharing these with us!
          >
          > Nobody I can identify personally. It is another Vistytis mystery.
          >
          > Did the kids all attend the same school whatever their ethnicity?
          >
          > Robert
          >
          > --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <nkm012870@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have just posted 2 school photos my grandfather had of Vistytis from around 1922 and 1917. I have been there and have seen other photos but I cannot match these to any in the town today. Can anyone else? Also, the 1922 photo is fairly clear. Perhaps you can see someone from your own family in it?
          > >
          > > Neil

        • vilkovist
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
            Hello,

            Where can I see these old photos of Vistytis, Thanks :)

            --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <nkm012870@...> wrote:

            > I have just posted 2 school photos my grandfather had of Vistytis from around 1922 and 1917. I have been there and have seen other photos but I cannot match these to any in the town today. Can anyone else? Also, the 1922 photo is fairly clear. Perhaps you can see someone from your own family in it?
            >
            > Neil

          • fredleonk
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2012
              --- In Vistytis@yahoogroups.com, "vilkovist" <kociubaitis@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Where can I see these old photos of Vistytis, Thanks :)

            • vilius kociubaitis
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2012
                OK, thank You :)

                Vilius Ko&#269;iubaitis