Figures for Vishtinetz from 1897 census?

  • Om Kf
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2011
      Hello everybody,

      does anyone know the complete results of the 1897 census for Vishtinetz?
      From the Evreiskaya Entsiklopediya
      (1906-1913), vol. 5, we learn that according to the census of 1897 there were 2468 inhabitants in Vishtinetz, out of which 799 were Jews.
      Unfortunately though, I haven't been able to find any figures for Poles, Lithuanians, Germans and Russians.
      Volume 59 of the official Russian Census publication, bearing the title "Suvalkskaya Guberniya" and published in 1904, doesn't give any figures for villages like Vishtinetz. Instead, the figures are being presented for the different districts (uezd) and for the towns therein (Volkovishki and Verzhbolov/Virballen).
      On the other hand, there is a "private" census of the Suvalkskaya Guberniya, published in 1901 by Eduard Aleksandrovitch Wolter ("Spiski naselennych mest suvalskoi gubernii" - Lists of settlements in the Suvalksaya Guberniya).
      It isn't very clear to me, though, to exactly which year the figures refer in that book. As far as I have understood, the survey started after 1888 - and must have ended before the official census of 1897. At any rate, in this book, we are being given exact figures for Vishtinetz (pp. 226-229):
      1) For the whole "gmina" of Vishtinetz (municipality of Vishtinetz, including the village of Vishtinetz itself and 20 additional localities): 6553 inhabitants, out of which: a) according to nationality: 3520 Lithuanians, 1269 Jews, 1764 Poles; b) according to mother-tongue: 1793 Lithuanian, 1657 German, 1834 Polish, 1269 Yiddish; c) according to religion: 3587 Roman-Catholics, 1697 Evangelicals (Protestants), 1269 Jews.
      2) Only for the village of Vishtinetz itself: 4219 inhabitants, out of which: a) according to nationality: 1195 Lithuanians, 1260 Jews and 1764 Poles; b) according to mother-tongue: 209 Lithuanian, 986 German, 1764 Polish, 1260 Yiddish; c) according to religion: 1973 Roman-Catholics, 986 Protestants, 1260 Jews.

      Several interesting conclusions may be drawn on the basis of these figures alone - and by comparing them to the two numbers from the 1897 census mentioned at the very beginning of this message.
      It would be much more interesting though if there was any additional information from the 1897 census concerning the inhabitants of Vishtinetz.

      Yours,
      Omry Kaplan-Feuereisen, Berlin, Germany.
    • Bill Dukstein
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2011
        Omry

        Good question.  I've been wondering the same thing myself.

        I came across a Jewish website which talks about an 1784 census of the region, but I don't know from where this information came.  I have copied the website below:

        Can anyone shed any light on this census?

        Bill