Re: [Vistytis] Re: Vishtinetz

  • Bill Dukstein
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2011
      Does anyone if there are any remnants of the German Lutheran cemetery in Vistytis?  If so, why not include those tombstones in the spreadsheet, too.

      From: romitch30 <romitch30@...>
      Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:35:39 -0000
      To: <Vistytis@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Vistytis] Re: Vishtinetz

      EDT)
      There's not much to tell. About ten years ago my daughter and I visited Vistytis with our wonderful guide Regina
      Kopilevich <miregina@...> (I'm not sure this is her current email address). We headed for the school and found it had a new small museum and dedicated teachers responsible for it. One of these teachers led us on a tour of the area. I paid for a brought-in-lunch for a number of teachers (this was arranged through Regina). And it was Regina who proposed recording the names on the grave stones in the Jewish cemeteries. She evidently puts men's shaving cream on the stone to bring out the inscriptions and then records them for entry into a spread sheet and translation.

      My gf was born in 1860 and left for the US (first Grand Rapids and then Detroit) in around 1878. A number of his siblings followed individually, living with him first before setting out on their own. All except one of the siblings adopted the name Mitchell. From what limited information is available, the pre-arrival name was some variation of either Detomischkofsky or Mishkofsky. I have a general idea of the distribution of these names from Minsk to Vilnius (the Deto prefix is unusual). It appears that most of the family members quickly dropped their religious affiliations, and some 2nd and 3rd generation members are unaware of their Jewish heritage (I discovered it -- or suspected it - - perhaps in my later teen years). This has complicated the genealogical research.

      I am not interested in family trees but instead in what kinds of lives my family had while in Vistytis, while in travel to the U.S., and during their post-arrival years. I am updating a report covering this life phases.

      Since my visit, there have been a number of others that have been posted online. And the Litvak Digest is a good source of other information.

      Your best guide to online searching is GOOGLE your family tree.