Re: [Vistytis] Birth Records from 1877

  • Bill Dukstein
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13 3:19 PM
      Mark

      The Catholic records for Vistytis are not available.  However, if your family was of the Lutheran faith, then those records are available on microfilm through the LDS family history center.

      Bill

      From: <intrigues01@...>
      Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:56:49 EDT
      To: <Vistytis@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Vistytis] Birth Records from 1877

      Hi

      I tried 3 times before with No response.

      I am looking for information on my family. My great Great Grandfather moved to Vistytis from a family estate named filllipa now in poland. His son was born  in Vistytis with 4 brothers and 2 sisters. He married  a lady Anna who was a only child who owned 80 hectords in Pa Vistytis. The family was a titled family who's name is Zlatarinskas. I have been there 3 times and talked to the government and the local priest. They both tell me that either the records wear destroyed during the war or taken by the Russians. But It appears  from reading here that others are able to find information on their family.

      Mark

    • Howard Sandys
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13 5:45 PM

        Ilene

        I do not believe there are any birth records for Jewish residents of Vistytis in the national archives in Vilnius. Bert Oppenheim visited Vistytis in 1995 and wrote a family history for the Oppenheim family of Vistytis. As part of his research he visited with Galina Baranova of the Lithuanian Historical Archive in Vilnius where he found that the only records still in existence are Synagogue Donation books from 1837-1866. There is no indication that they are even complete. When we visited Vistytis in 2005 there was no indication of any additional records. We were told that they were all destroyed during the war.

        Copies of the donation records were published in the "Landsmen" journal of the Suvalki-Lomza interest group for Jewish Genealogy in about 1996. An old address for them is P.O.B. 228,3701 Connecticut Ave.,NW Washington,DC 20008. I have not checked to see if they are now online.

        Another possible source is the historical archives in Grodno Belarus. I believe you can contact them online and can ask them to research their files to see if there are any Synagogue records at their location for Vistytis. "National Historical Archives of Belarus in Grodno" I have not checked with them to see if they have any documents but please advise the group if you are successful.

        Howard Sandys

        Message 3 of 6 , May 13 5:49 PM

          Thank you for your response. What happened to the catholic records?

          Mark